Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Empire of Lorn - Fantasy world map

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Great work so far! I think you're quickly becoming one of my favorite artists here.
    Wow, high praise indeed.

I have to agree. You are doing some excellent work here, Max. Very nice mountains. Have some rep.! And thanks for sharing!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Thanks a lot vorropohaiah and Eilathen So, new update: Changed colors of base textures and switch to lighter ones (guess it will make labeling easier), added compass and some subtle waves in sea and worked a bit on the coastlines.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lorn4.jpg 
Views:	753 
Size:	3.53 MB 
ID:	51104

Some WIp work on western region (moutains and forests). here's what I've done so far:

Opacity of trees may be increased and I'll redo the three mounts in the forest in the west.
    Last edited by - Max -; 07-19-2014 at 08:24 AM.

Hi Max, this is looking pretty good. I really like the mountains, and the door in the big mountain nicely fits the style.

I hope I'm right in assuming that you are inviting comments by posting here. If you don't mind me saying, I think the forests look a bit strange. Perhaps if the density of trees changed, so some areas look thicker and others more sparse, and/or if the trees overlapped one another more often. The other comment I have - and you may already be planning to do this yourself - perhaps hide an area of the border where it overlaps the mountains, so it looks like the map is spilling out of the frame.

Otherwise, looking really good - I particularly like the woodcut effect on your coastal waves and the crosshatch near the coasts. Are they done in PS?

THW.

Mountain and the forest are the special things for me.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map

Quote Originally Posted by TheHoarseWhisperer View Post

I hope I'm right in assuming that you are inviting comments by posting here. If you don't mind me saying, I think the forests look a bit strange. Perhaps if the density of trees changed, so some areas look thicker and others more sparse, and/or if the trees overlapped one another more often. The other comment I have - and you may already be planning to do this yourself - perhaps hide an area of the border where it overlaps the mountains, so it looks like the map is spilling out of the frame.

Otherwise, looking really good - I particularly like the woodcut effect on your coastal waves and the crosshatch near the coasts. Are they done in PS?

THW.
    Comments are welcomed THW

What I had in mind for the forests was to choose a non overlapped style that would fit better with Blaeu's mountain's style (like I did on Provinces of Selen map) but maybe it doesn't work that good due to big areas, I don't know. I'm gonna try to increase opacity and/or add engraving lines style on a bottom layer to see if it's better. I'm not really sure to know how overlap good with this style of forests...
    At the start I was planning to erase mountains off the border. And yes waves and crosshatch are made with PS ( first is engraving like pattern, second hand-made brush used with dynamic parameters)
    Anyway thanks for the comment.
    Last edited by - Max -; 01-09-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Nice Job, I like it

Those mountains are awesome. Just beautiful.

Thanks xanuri and Urxed. Im very satisfied of how those brushes works

A few advances and some stones brushes set to use next... I'm still trying to figure how overlap the trees on the forests
    Last edited by - Max -; 07-19-2014 at 08:25 AM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast