Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Empire of Lorn - Fantasy world map

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I don't know that you even need to overlap the trees; with the color added in they already look great as-is.

I agree with Diamond about the colour, but it's the texture underneath the trees which I think makes the difference. I'd still urge you to consider a more varied density of trees for other forests you add to this map, although I'll also say I like the scattered spacing around the edge of the forest, too.

What problem are you having trying to overlap the trees? Why did you say you were still figuring it out?

THW

(PS: The standing stones look good btw, as with all the other brushes)

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

A little pic to show my problem:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	overlap.jpg 
Views:	1499 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	51138

As you can see on this example, if I'll overlap, we'll still see the lines of the grey trees that are underneath the red ones I'll add and erasing those lines one by tree by one tree will take hours on big forests to do. Any thoughts about a different way to do?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

make sure the interior of the trees are solid white?

Hmm they are not. As far as I know, when you make brush with an element, you can only defined the shape (lines), the other parts are transparent (or in grey tones if tey wre colored).

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Can't you make them white then? I'm sure that's possible. It would eliminate all possible overlap, and the white globs could easily be deleted afterwards by doing a simple "color to alpha" command on the whole layer
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Thanks to try to help I can't make them white though ( I mean black outlines on white instead on transparent), maybe I don't know how to do them

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Thanks to try to help I can't make them white though ( I mean black outlines on white instead on transparent), maybe I don't know how to do them
    As far as I know there's no way to do this. You could however make trees as you want in several other ways. Examples include: copy them from one dokument to Another with the stamp tool or do them in Illustrator and just copy the trees Into photoshop. Its also possible to make a pattern in Photoshop.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
    As far as I know there's no way to do this. You could however make trees as you want in several other ways. Examples include: copy them from one dokument to Another with the stamp tool or do them in Illustrator and just copy the trees Into photoshop. Its also possible to make a pattern in Photoshop.
    I'm not accustomed with Photoshop, but I know there's brushes in GIMP that have tons of different colours (there's even a bell pepper in the standard brushes, for pete's sake!). I imagine it'd be perfectly possible to have a brush existing of black outlines and a white background. I'm not sure if that's possible in Photoshop, but I guess it must be, after all GIMP is only a bit of freeware, right?
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Well. It's not possible to do that way in photoshop. BUT you could make an "action" in photoshop that does the following: applied a layer style (with Border and fill color) and then rasterize the layer and then creates a new layer. So you click once with you brush (painting the tree), run the action (with a function key) then paint Another tree etc. When you're done painting trees you have loads of layers which you select and merge. Done.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast