Thread: Maer arad (Good Day in Sindarin)

Default Maer arad (Good Day in Sindarin)

I am new to cartography and calligraphy!

I am in a LARP group called dagorhir and I thought making a map for my unit would be fun, and of course that led to research and reference maps and viola I found this wonderful community!

I was also wondering if someone could point me in the direction of some good hand-drawn tutorials? I noticed most of this was photoshop and I want to stick to pen and paper!

Thanks ahead of time!

sîdh & meleth
    (Peace & Love)

Lunaemare

Hi!

I hop you will find what you want here!

By the way, you can find hand-drawn tutorials here:
    Fantasy Mapmaking (not complete)
    And here:
    Peter's guide to map creation: How to create fantasy maps (with a part on computer)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLord View Post
    Hi!

I hop you will find what you want here!

By the way, you can find hand-drawn tutorials here:
    Fantasy Mapmaking (not complete)
    And here:
    Peter's guide to map creation: How to create fantasy maps (with a part on computer)
    wow thank you!

Try a search here for hand drawn maps, you may not find tutorials but you will find examples of folks work. some of the members who have posted hand drawn stuff, Kolyana, HQcostheta, Blaidd drwg, havercakes24 are a couple I know have posted. Members also start with hand sketches and then add text / color with software. GIMP is the free equivalent of phtotshop. Enjoy your stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellum View Post
    Try a search here for hand drawn maps, you may not find tutorials but you will find examples of folks work. some of the members who have posted hand drawn stuff, Kolyana, HQcostheta, Blaidd drwg, havercakes24 are a couple I know have posted. Members also start with hand sketches and then add text / color with software. GIMP is the free equivalent of phtotshop. Enjoy your stay.
    Wow! I did a search for hand drawn maps here like you suggested and I came across your thread "hand drawn/ps trading village" I have to say I LOVE your style! It's so authentic feeling! Like, I can hear the chatter of horse hooves and the rustle and speak of the villagers when I look at it! Awesome stuff!

Thanks for the compliments Lunaemare but I'm not even close to most of the folks on here! Most of these guys just knock my socks off when I look at what they do. If you take some time, steal ideas from maps here and there that you like you can do this. Hardest part is the first step, grab a pencil, have at it.

Welcome to the Guild Lunaemare. As others have said, there are quite a few resources in the Tutorials sections for hand-drawn maps. I'd start by checking out Torstan's Assorted Tips and Tricks thread and DJ's Step by Step tutorials. Look forward to seeing your work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Everyone here has been really helpful! Thank you!

I intend to spend a lot of my internet time on this website!

Thank you again!

sîdh & meleth
    (Peace & Love)

Lunaemare

How does one get in to LARPing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuk003 View Post
    How does one get in to LARPing?
    Are you asking how to join? Or are you asking why im into it?

I'll answer both haha

1) It's quite easy I saw a flyer for my local unit and decided to call the number on it, and from there I joined Dagorhir (Which is the name of the game i play)!! [Dagorhir Battle Games] visit the link for more info, it's nation wide so I'm sure you can find a unit near you!!

2) Ever since I was a kid I've always loved to play with swords, you know, you go out back with some friends grab some sticks and go at it. I've also always been into fantasy video games, books, and movies. So I feel Dagorhir is a good way to do all these things and "satisfy" all these interests! It's also just fun as hell! And they know how to party after all the fighting is done!! lol

So yeah that's it really

sîdh & meleth
    (Peace & Love)

Lunaemare