Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Make a flat map into a globe cut out

I just came across this:
    http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/astro/europatet.jpg

if you track back to the root directory, there are other planetary maps available too.

If G.projector isn't working for you, you could try Flex Projector.

Disclaimer: I have never used it and don't know if it has the features you require, nor do I know whether or not it's easy to use.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Hi guys! So I'm back at it trying to make this map again after focusing on school for a while! Unfortunately, G. Projector has still been malfunctioning for me on my computer and although Flex Projector is a great source, I am too much a novice to really figure it out. As such, I was wondering if someone could do me a favor who has G. Projector. I would like this map to go through a Sinusoidal projection, interrupted at 30 degrees. Please make the weight for both the graticule and border 0 (basically no lines). Lastly, if you could save the map as a jpeg with maximum quality and a width of 3769 I would really reaaaallly appreciate it! Thanks everyone for all your help, this has been a great community!

Map: http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps3e83e3d6.jpg

Hey there, just saw your request and went ahead for you:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Europa_sinusoidal.jpg 
Views:	737 
Size:	3.76 MB 
ID:	53059

JPEG, max (10) quality, 3769 width, and 30 degree "gores". Hope that's what you're looking for! Incidentally, I had a problem with G.Projector on my computer as well (I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on a fairly new desktop computer); I re-downloaded G.projector directly from the NASA website, and now it works for me. I don't even have to run it in compatibility mode or as admin. Hope that helps!

- kes
    Portfolio & Project Blog: 99 Colored Umbrellas
    World Building Project: Worlds of Sand

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

this is great! we need more people making globes of their worlds! now, if only i can find a reasonably-priced, large blank sphere...

Thank you x 1,000,000 kestrelgrey! That came out perfectly! I'll try to redownload G. Projector as well and see if I can't get it to work for when I do the other Jovian moons. Really, though, thank you!
    @vorropohaiah: this is the site I think I will eventually use for the globes I want to make. I haven't ordered from them before, and I don't know if the prices are "reasonable," but they are some of the only people who make large spheres in light weight material! : P

no link

Oops, sorry about that!

Balls or Spheres

i also found this, though im sure the globes arent as precise - 300mm Polystyrene Styrofoam Poly Modelling Balls Spheres Round White Craft Shape | eBay

@ Vorropohaiah - no problem, glad it worked out. It didn't take long at all, so if you need any others done, feel free to ask - I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for updates (really looking forward to how this turns out! Post pictures! ^-^v), and I can render out those sinusoidal projections for you. Hope you do get G.Projector working, though, it is a fantastic program! And good luck.

- kes
    Portfolio & Project Blog: 99 Colored Umbrellas
    World Building Project: Worlds of Sand

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast