Thread: Hirohan Island - Work in progress

Default Hirohan Island - Work in progress

Hello all! First submission to this sight, super excited to discover that there is a site where people make awesome fantasy maps! Wanted to share this one and hopefully get some feedback.

Cheers,

Richard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hirohan21.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	51133  

Hi Richard. Welcome to the guild.

I like this map, but I'm also a bit confused by it. Care to explain what it is and how you did it?

And let me be the first to rep you for a first-post map.

THW

Welcome to the Guild! And indeed, we appreciate you contributing from the very start - kudos and a smidgen of reputation for that!

What do I think of the map? Well, I'm frustrated. Maps tell stories, and I enjoy those stories.. But this one appears to be written in Urdu, maybe by a Technician-Cartographer First Class, of the Society of Mysterious Happenings. You've got two different kinds of borders going, some coincident? And your sea floor has scads more annotation and symbology than the land? It's obviously carefully put together, and if I ignore the meaning , I can say I really like the overall look and feel. Nothing (or only one thing?) is haphazard, yet most is puzzling.

The maybe-oops category is your inland water. If its all natural, then some is behaving decidedly unnaturally; I'd counsel you to read and heed "how to get your rivers in the right place" found near the top of the Tutorial forum. If some of those interconnections are canals, we're good. Mostly.

Do give us the story, please!
    Last edited by jbgibson; 01-10-2013 at 03:14 AM.