Thread: Critique my first map please - Wooded Cliff

Map Critique my first map please - Wooded Cliff

I've just got back into pen and paper RPG's recently and decided to have a go at creating my own maps as I've started playing the Dragon Age RPG with some friends of mine and I haven't been able to find any maps for the campaign we are running.

Here's my first attempt, and advice or critique is welcome.

Game: Dragon Age
    Campaign: A bann too many
    Area: Ambush site

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wooded Cliff Path.png 
Views:	453 
Size:	862.8 KB 
ID:	51139

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Nice start ashgrey, but the brown trees are a bit offsetting, and I am not sure what the path texture is representing...The cliff to the left is clear as to which way it goes, but the other two could be either up or down. Battle maps are not what I do, but if I had an idea of what problem YOU might have with the map, I might be able to help some.

What prog are you using for this?

And Welcome to the Guild, The Mappiest Place on the Web. Have some rep for posting a map in your first post too.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

This was done in Photoshop as it was a program I'm used to using and allows for the layering and blending that I wanted.

The path is just a quick pattern I put together, just meant to show where the road is going and the trees are the brown colour to match the parchment colouring, also as its likely that if I'm going to print this out that It's going to be grey scale because of the scale to keep costs down.

As for the cliffs I can see what you mean about not knowing what way they are falling, but not quite sure how to fix it. the top cliff i an upwards cliff where the other two are falling cliffs.

Yeah, not quite sure how to fix it.

Thanks for the rep and the welcome.
    Last edited by ashgrey; 01-10-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Hi and welcome!

I agree with the other comments. I think the cliffs look nice and clean though. I'm not an expert on battlemaps but here's one of mine (I think I got the cliffs quite good). Go to the Dundjinni forums where you'll find thousands of images (items/houses/textures) you can use for your maps.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/fi...lemap-1-a.html

Wip

After some feedback, did some more shadowing and texture alignment.

Name:	Wooded Cliff Path 1.png 
Views:	591 
Size:	588.0 KB 
ID:	51148

Thanks carnifex.

I think the problem I am having is that the map isnt drawn strictly from a birds eye view, its more like a 45 degree angle. I think thats why I'm having trouble.

Wip

And yet again more shadowing.

I'm pretty happy with this, and I think its mosly obvious which way the cliffs are falling now.

Name:	Wooded Cliff Path 2.png 
Views:	349 
Size:	574.5 KB 
ID:	51149

Guild Member Facebook Connected

Looks great!