It gives me great pleasure to announce the theme for the Cartographer’s Guild challenge for the month of June. The fact that I’m doing this announcement should have given you a clue. You guessed it, it’s the CWBP. If you don’t know what that is, where have you been? It stands for Collaborative World Building Project. Many of you are already involved in this project which has, as its aim, the creation by collaborative process, of our own, fantasy campaign world complete with maps and background info and everything else.

The challenge

You must create a map of a settlement or structure that fits thematically and geographically with the work already done on the project. It does not have to follow any style used in the project. You are welcome to map in whatever style suits you and that you are most comfortable with.

But……..You have to map one of the following things.

A walled town or city
An area of wilds approximately 20 miles across
A trading town next to a river
A coastal port
A stretch of road approximately 50 miles long
A ruin
An underground lair or mine

What you will need to do

You will need to have a look through the wiki (found here) and browse Seerblue’s very cool Google maps of the project found here. Find a spot that you like, either from what you see on the map or from what you have read about in the wiki, and go for it. Feel free to ask any questions on the CWBP forum that you may have as to the area of your choice or any other contextual information.

Areas will be dealt with on a first come first served basis. In other words if you choose to map a specific place, that place cannot be chosen by another mapper. Voting should be based primarily on artistic and mapping criteria and “coolness” factor, as well as how well the map fits with the areas already done in the CWBP and any relevant written content..

There are no prizes this month, but think of the fame, the adulation, and how fun you will be at parties from now on if you can say, “Yes, I’m in the project, what about it?”"

Torq