Thread: How are my mountains?

Banned User

Default How are my mountains?

I've followed some tutorials but my mountains seem slightly off. Your opinions?

Thanks.

Edit: I think these are a bit better. However, I can't decide now which I should use for a next map. The side view looks better but seems odd to me as it gives a perspective of distance and so presumably closer mountains would be bigger and more detailed?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ztM1oHS.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	804.3 KB 
ID:	71219
    Last edited by Sarithus; 02-27-2015 at 11:28 AM.

I think you're doing a good job, post your progresses so we can evaluate more.
    I prefer the side view; as for the perspective, it's really depending on your point of observation; if it's really high in the sky, even if it's not top down, you don't need closer mountains to be really bigger; if your point of observation is closer to the ground, things change, I think, and closer mountains should be bigger.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    ..... it gives a perspective of distance and so presumably closer mountains would be bigger and more detailed?
    In a photograph, closer is bigger because the observer is fixed in one place and seeing the scene from that one spot.

In a map, the observer is able to move their point of view around the map, so think of it as if you are overhead and can look down from any point anywhere above the map. For that reason, mountains can be the same size throughout the map, and the observer sees them from the same angle and height no matter where they are within the map.

If you are drawing a picture of an area, then perspective is right. If you are making a map of an area, make the map consistent throughout.

Cheers,
    Cornelia

In most maps, the landscape is seen from above at a great distance meaning there is little to no distortion. But yet, the elements like the mountains and forests are shown as if we where looking with a tilt in the perspective. Some maps are really tilted to give that impression but it distort all the map. Like this one made by Djekspeck http://djekspek.deviantart.com/art/L...eria-150864528

These are the exceptions and most people do maps like 3d books for kids. Example: http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs31/i/20...oxanime101.jpg
    The land is flat (no angle) but not the elements and because of this, they stay at a constant size, thus I would say that we use 2 different perspectives.

example: http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...2&d=1394972568

I saw some people complain about mixing isometric mountains (isometric is a wide term for anything represented with some angle) and flat forests because it made the perspective inconsistent but their land is usually flat too.