Thread: Map for George RR Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire', requesting critique and help

Help Map for George RR Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire', requesting critique and help

I am making a world map based on George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series (aka A Game of Thrones HBO series). They published official maps of this fantasy world a few months ago in poster form. That is what I am using for reference.

I want to do a complete vector-based map with hopes of making it into an interactive Java applet with pan/zoom functionality and toggleable layers. I did something quite similar to this a few months ago, only I made it as a Flash based app. You can see it here. In this updated version I'm going for a different look. I don't want to use vector icons for the forests, mountains and hills like I did before.

What I could use help with is how to best depict mountains, hills, canyons, and the various terrain. Since it is entirely vector-based I can't do something like shaded relief. I don't have extensive graphic design experience, and am somewhat new to using Illustrator, so if you have any suggestions I'd appreciate an in-depth explanation or a link to a tutorial. I also welcome any critiques you might have on what I've done so far. Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asoiaf_knownworld.png 
Views:	45581 
Size:	780.1 KB 
ID:	51200

Well, if you want professional tips, ask torstan...he is the one who made the official maps you linked to above (yes, a member here on CG). Unfortunately, i can't help you with your questions, as i am not well versed in electronic map-making.

Oh and welcome to the guild!
    Looking forward to seeing this project develop.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

I had something of the same dilemma a while back: The Wheel of Time map

I used the official map as a guide to placing very rough and low-resolution contour lines. I am not really satisfied with it, but maybe looking at it might give you a place to start.

In terms of technique, I used the pencil tool to trace freehand over a scan of Mitchell's painting, but I do have a tablet, so that wasn't as difficult as it would have been had I been drawing with a mouse.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I am making a world map based on George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series (aka A Game of Thrones HBO series). They published official maps of this fantasy world a few months ago in poster form. That is what I am using for reference.

I want to do a complete vector-based map with hopes of making it into an interactive Java applet with pan/zoom functionality and toggleable layers. I did something quite similar to this a few months ago, only I made it as a Flash based app. You can see it here. In this updated version I'm going for a different look. I don't want to use vector icons for the forests, mountains and hills like I did before.

What I could use help with is how to best depict mountains, hills, canyons, and the various terrain. Since it is entirely vector-based I can't do something like shaded relief. I don't have extensive graphic design experience, and am somewhat new to using Illustrator, so if you have any suggestions I'd appreciate an in-depth explanation or a link to a tutorial. I also welcome any critiques you might have on what I've done so far. Thanks.
    An excellent map (incomplete as it is!). I've been looking for a good outline map based on the new Lands of Ice and Fire material for a while for use on the ASoIaF Wiki. Would it be okay to use a modified version of this, with credit and attribution?

Any progress on this? I really want a vector based map for the series. I want to make a banner/tapestry style map printed on Linen. Thought it would be cool to have an old world style map for visual referencing of where everyone is while I watch the series. I already bought 3 yards of 60" wide linen and inkjet set for cloth.