Thread: Map style v. level

Default Map style v. level

All,

I have a question that is probably basic, but I want to ask it anyway.

I'm planning to create a new campaign world and I have a lot of styles that I can choose from in CC3. Does the large scale map style need to be the same as the lower levels? Is there a rule of thumb. I have styles that go from Mercator to satelite to traditional fantasy styles. I want to make sure they flow. Is realistic (satelite) view better at high level, and work my way down to a much less realistic or keep it about the same.

Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

I don't think there is a general guideline for this. It also depends on the purpose of the map, I think.
    I'm in the same position as you: I have a large-scale 'overall' map, and I am going to map out specific parts in ever increasing detail as I go along. I intend to use the same style for all the maps, to create a unified 'feel' of the (series of) maps.

However, if the characters get handed a map by an NPC, I think I'd use one of the hand-drawn styles instead of the default (detailed) style.

Blog Entries

Just a warning about a potential point of confusion, "large scale" in cartography means "zoomed in". The scale factor is larger so "large scale". The area covered by the map is the "extent", not the scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    Just a warning about a potential point of confusion, "large scale" in cartography means "zoomed in". The scale factor is larger so "large scale". The area covered by the map is the "extent", not the scale.
    Ah, kk. Thx. Thanks for the clarification. I definitely mean extent (world, to continent, and on down)