Thread: Western continent of Reidah

Default [WIP] Map of the western continent (Trauma 1111)

That's an old project of mine. But I'd like to work on it again to complete the names of settlements and add more detail.

It's made with Macromedia Freehand mx and is a complete vector graphic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T1111_Kontinentalkarte_web.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	406.8 KB 
ID:	51248
    Last edited by Freehand 5.5; 01-14-2013 at 08:35 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Looks like very good so far. Some points though : the "salmon" color shows hardly on green and grey areas. All colors seems a bit flat/light imo I would prefer more contrats or more darker colors but it's a matter of personnal tast i guess

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

Since the map has a border, the map should not extend past that border.

That said, you're a wonder boy for populating your map with so many population centers. If you aren't careful, though, you'll give viewers the impression that it's an inhabited land mass.

My greatest lamentation about this map, with nary so much as a single thought about the rather rudimentary state of those mountains, is its assault upon the human eye. It is contrast played out in travesty.

Your water is light blue. Your land mass is light green. Even the forested regions are still a relatively light shade of green. Plus, your affinity for red text only exacerbates the core problem, from a contrast perspective.

All of the light colors run together, and they assail the senses. I recently viewed a map that had pale colors. However, that map also balanced its color palette by injecting a healthy dose of contrast into that map.

Your edges lack contrast, as well - and that's a true shame. The very same map that you have on display here, right now, would be all the better, if where water meets land, contrast ensued. My eye can clearly see the coastline that you have drawn. However, my eye doesn't appreciate that very same coastline. Why? Because the manner in which you depict is makes my eye sore. It makes me not want to sit and stare at your map.

And if I do not sit and stare at it, however will I - or anyone else who might likewise otherwise be inclined - truly appreciate the effort that you've put into it?

Your choice of fonts could stand revisiting. On the really small text, less embellishment is actually better, since even the most delicious of names in text form is of no value, if the end result is that no one can make out what it says. On the large text, though, even if I were inclined to forgive its rather glaring visual offense due to lack of good contrast (which I am not so inclined), it's just not a good choice. IT reminds me of a stencil, and I assure you, in cartographic terms, that's not a compliment.

And look at that key, if you want to call it that. Ack!! I choke, upon seeing it. Huge lettering that accomplishes nothing of note for your map.

I enthusiastically support your desire to work on this map, again. I just hope that you take the concept of contrast to heart, as you begin such an undertaking.

The world that your map depicts will be a more beautiful place, if you do.

Hey Max and GrimFinger,

thank you very much for your comments.

The map is in A2-format. The smallest labels have 6 Pt. That's okay for the print map, but I didn't want to go over 500 K with the file I uploaded here.
    (btw: What's the limit of uploaded files in this forum?)

I was definitely aware about some things, but it is far better to hear it from someone with expertise.
    Looks like I have to redo quite some things.
    I will keep in mind contrast especially - and the fonts, too! ('Attic' is so nineties, meanwhile that font is definitely out)
    Thank's again.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Hey there. Uplaod max size here is 4,77mb per file.
    (btw I'm pming you)

Oh, good to know. The next map will be bigger.

That is good....
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map