Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Returning Member , New Map

Post Returning Member , New Map

Hi Guys.

Im new to this site as this tag, was absent for a long time and old one would not log in, i was Vorhees. Any way thought i would share my latest map i have done, using the Tutorial's you guys have here and looking at the sites of some of you guys you can learn a lot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jarlgarr.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	476.5 KB 
ID:	51249

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Welcome back so! Pretty map.
    Some comments : I don't really like the fonts (especially the one u used for the areas and town which is overused imho). A little shadow on the trees trunks could add more depth to the forests and the dark area around coastline should be closer on some places (we can still see irregular clear zones between the coastline and the dark area, near Icemeet, north east of Ulfenguard and on the north (right next to the 2nd N letter of Mountains)

Welcome back Grym, Excellent map.

Blog Entries

Your labling could do with some work. (it's actually one of the hardest things to do well in cartography) Here are a few suggestions.

As Max said, the typefaces aren't the best choices. For map labels you want clear and consistent type. Try to stick to simple faces, and avoid mixing typefaces, particularly radically different ones. If you can get a good family of related typefaces, that works best. Filters and textures also tend to make labels hard to read.

For point labels, it's generally best to put the label beside the point rather than having it centred above or below. Try to be consistent when you can.

For areas, try to make the text a smooth but noticeable curve that spans the largest dimension of the area and try to spread it out with letter spacing rather than just making the text bigger or by stretching it.

The graticule (grid) looks out of place too. It doesn't really match the look of the map and besides that it looks like it's wrong. If it's meant to be a latitude/longitude graticule, and the map is as close to a pole as it appears to be, the graticule should not be square. It should be at a minimum, squeezed in horizontally (A secant cylindrical projection), or better radiating and concentric circular arcs (A conic projection) Other coordinate systems that might give a square graticule in high latitudes really don't fit the fantasy vibe of the map.

The forests really look good though.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

all the hate for Exocet regardless, the difference between the two fonts is too stark.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    all the hate for Exocet regardless, the difference between the two fonts is too stark.
    I can think of few names that would suit that font less than the French word for "Flying Fish".

Thank you for the comments guys, the font was all done in Excel (due to the large planning file for my Homebrew campaign World is in it) i can see it needs work. The Lines may look out of place due to this being a section of a much larger map im working on for my Campaign World. the Lines are all none curved there too, they dont have to be do they ?

Also the lines are placed every 50 miles, so prob not actually Long and Lats, should i lighten them alot maybe or maybe not have them go over the Land Mass? I want the Lines to Quick Reference Distances during Games.

Love it how do you make the forest like that?

forests are a mass of little lines with different shades , then i covered the area with it and then rubbed out were i didnt want forests, then using a brush i outlined, trunks are a brush with a fade out value and just stroked away, shading could use work as pointed out, dont know if that explained it i had not really thought about it. i have tried to get it to look like some of teh styles on here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast