Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: January 2013 Entry: The ruins of Ningan/orc worg-lord village

Default January 2013 Entry: The ruins of Ningan/orc worg-lord village

Hi all,
    Decided to try the challenge this month. I've got some time and, well, ruined is my thing.

Okay. So this is from my fantasy setting. The story, and I'll provide a full one later, is that this was once a town on the southern steppes of Minguo. It's not exactly a unified country...having only held together as a cohesive unit under the First Emperor. When he died, the various factions/geographies of the former nation fell to squabbling in various configurations. They've been doing that for thousands of years. The modern times are known as the Five Kingdoms period. As you might expect, there are five major kingdoms vying for supremacy.

In the meantime, in the rugged southern steppes of Minguo, the fierce orc worg-lord tribes gather and occasionally raid into the heartlands (when they can stop fighting amongst themselves for long enough). They long ago destroyed the southernmost cities and now hold these lands as their own. The city depicted was once a thriving trading city called Ningan. Well, that was long ago, of course. Now there are just a few crumbling walls, spare paving stones, and bridge abutments still standing. An ork tribe has built its own village amidst the ruins. The tribes leader fancies himself the reincarnation of Krakka Kon...but he's really just a pretender in shabby wolf skins.

Yeah. So. This is just a rough draft.
    M

### LATEST WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	village.jpg 
Views:	2306 
Size:	583.4 KB 
ID:	51253  

But the rough is also very good and effective.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

uh oh - I'm up against mearrin. Next diamond and djespek will join in. I better step it up!

you're rough draft is already amazing. Looks like a satellite image. You've got a great style - looking forward to what you come up with here.

Heh. Not to worry RjBeals, I think you'll do fine...I've seen some of your recent maps! I too fear the entry of Djekspek and the rest of the masters! Hopefully I'll have an update tonight.
    M

Heh, that's precisely why I want to be in this month's challenge, to face the Masters
    Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I'll make it but one can hope.

Oh, and I'm diggin your entry so far mearrin69.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's a good idea and sweet execution so far. Lookin' forward to more.

Me like, map good!

I hope the final map will be a larger high resolution map so we can see all the cool details.

Nice! Really like the ruined building, particulary the buried look whcih I'm not having much success with.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Looks as if I'd better get on the ball here. Lots of good entries shaping up. Here's an update with subtle refinements but mainly the addition of old Ningan's defensive wall, or what's left of it. It used to circle the main area of the town before it was sacked by the orcs.
    M

### LATEST WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	village.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	51363  
    Last edited by mearrin69; 01-19-2013 at 04:45 PM.

I have to admit I'm kind of sad I can't zoom in more. The zoom is barely any closer than the initial click. This just looks so good I want to dig into it more. You are an evil teaser
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast