Thread: Belgica Orientalis - the Northeastern Low Countries of the Late Sixteenth Century

Default Belgica Orientalis - the Northeastern Low Countries of the Late Sixteenth Century

This map, seen below in inks and then watercolors, was an attempt to move away from the digital tools I have become comfortable with and create a map wholly by hand in the styles of the seminal cartographers of the late sixteenth century. As something of an amateur historian with an interest in the Eighty Years War and Dutch Republic, I chose to create a map of the northeast provinces of the early republic circa the 1580s.

The maps were awarded the Judge's Choice award in a medieval and Renaissance arts competition from a field of almost sixty entrants. So, while my penmanship is atrocious, I'm pleased with the whole.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Belgica-Orientalis-Van-Harlo-Display-1500px.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	319.3 KB 
ID:	100071

Name:	EasternLC-Map-Composite-Inks.png 
Views:	187 
Size:	669.0 KB 
ID:	100069

Name:	EasternLC-Map-Composite-Watercolors.png 
Views:	259 
Size:	4.20 MB 
ID:	100070

Note that I digitally touched up the scan so it reflects the gradiated watercolor washes in a manner close to the physical original, as the original sans were at too high a contrast and didn't pick up the light color washes.
    Current Project: The Low Countries & Their Periphery, c. 1584

Do you like Renaissance and early modern history? Check out my Facebook page, Renaissance Netherlands with Will Phillips.

These are beautiful! Congrats, well deserved.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Member

What beautiful colors. Wonderful job.
    "Aye, it should have been the Year of the Four Rebellions, but the blood of my people thins every generation. The Men of Iron rust because our fathers abandoned the true born daughters of the Will of Iron for their Rust Wives."

Derik Moonhand

It looks very cool, Will (and nice frame) !

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very nice job.. and love the framing and format of it all
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Its heart-warming to see someone taking the time and trouble to create something beautiful the hard way

Congratulations on two beautiful maps. The colour scan does a total injustice to the loveliness of the original!

Lovely maps! Incredible work! And yes, very nice framing.

How long did it take you to make the first map?

How long did it take you to color it?