Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elthyrra

Default Elthyrra

Here is a global map of the world of Elthyrra.

Before all, I want to thank Diamond for letting me use a part of his excellent work. I love the shape and coastlines of his maps and wanted to group some in one world map.

I just wanted to try something different of my other fantasy maps.
    I used more textures than icons for mountains and strong colors to outlines this harsh and chaotic post-apocalyptic fantasy world.

Hope you like it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ilanthar-albums-various+maps-picture51283-elthyrra.jpg 
Views:	9506 
Size:	3.92 MB 
ID:	51284

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Before all, I want to thank Diamond for letting me use a part of his excellent work. I love the shape and coastlines of his maps and wanted to group some in one world map.
    I like the map! Especially the Occidens-side.
    Can you elaborate on the quoted part above? I am also a big fan of Diamond's work. Maybe point out where you used which of his maps for inspiration (if i understood you correctly, that is)?

Have some Rep.!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Pretty nice one so have rep for the effort though I think it needs more work (so a few comments):
    - something disturbs me with terrain colors or maybe it's different areas. Not very clear to my opinion.
    - transitions between moutains and terrains seems a bit harsh
    - The blurry coastlines and low quality sea texture don't really fit the others elements.
    - you add an oldy touch to the outside of the map but we don't really see that oldy touch on the map itself and on the round border of the map.
    All of that makes a lack of harmony on the whole map in my humble opinion

Thanks guys.

Eliathen, here's a picture showing what I took from Diamond maps (approximately). The southern land on the occidens side is inspired from the paleo north american continent (can't remember the period).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sources.jpg 
Views:	534 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	51307
    Max, about the colors and the mountains : the idea was indeed to get something chaotic and harsh. This world is completely alien and unstable : moving deserts of colored sands, strange forests, hard rocky mountains, etc.
    About the coastlines and the sea texture... it's probably due to my lack of skills. I tend to use always the same techniques, even if I try new ones on this map. I liked the sea texture though. I must precise that I have reduced the map (and its quality) because the file was too big for being uploaded...
    Maybe you could give me some advices or leads?

And yes, you're right for the last point. I didn't really get it, but it's quite clear now. I'm gonna see what I can do about it.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Max, about the colors and the mountains : the idea was indeed to get something chaotic and harsh. This world is completely alien and unstable : moving deserts of colored sands, strange forests, hard rocky mountains, etc.
    = Understandable though
    About the coastlines and the sea texture... it's probably due to my lack of skills. I tend to use always the same techniques, even if I try new ones on this map. I liked the sea texture though. I must precise that I have reduced the map (and its quality) because the file was too big for being uploaded...
    Maybe you could give me some advices or leads?
    For the coastlines if you added some blurr, remove it on original layer if you kept it. If not, try to improve neatness with a filter. Indeed, the sea texture looks nice that's why it's kind of shame it looks pixellated and blurry. You probably use a pic that you increased size to fit the map and so it lost resolution a lot. What is the original map's size and dpi and what's on the uploaded one?

And yes, you're right for the last point. I didn't really get it, but it's quite clear now. I'm gonna see what I can do about it.
    Answers in the quote...

Very cool, thanks, Ilantar!
    A very nice gesture of Diamond.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Very nice work!!

Ferrol, Coruña, Spain, Earth, Solar System

I like the general concept but I think it need more definition in the coastline zones (the coast line seems to be a bit blurred) and in the mountain zones (in general mountains are not recognized as that but like a bunch of pixels). Keep going.

That is such a nice map.

What a pity that the mountains just look like lines of poo.
    I don't know, but it might look better in higher resolution.

Nice work I really like the map....
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast