Thread: ViewingDale & Fentor Cross Church High Res + CWBP demo (and even more)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Post ViewingDale & Fentor Cross Church High Res + CWBP demo (and even more)

So I have a bit of catching up to deliver. After the May challenge there was a lot of talk about using VTT's and making maps for them. The challenge was to make a map in 75K (low res) so that it could be used in a VTT which transferred it every round across the internet. Not every VTT uses this method and in fact ViewingDale does stuff quite different to every other VTT and mapping tool as far as I can see. Its much closer to Google Earth than anything else except that its pure 2D which is bad, its a lot easier to edit the map which is good, and has an internet link up system to allow it to be used as a VTT which is the point in this thread.

I'm making some screen capture movies here so its a little difficult to show multi machine link up but you will have to take my word for it that changes made to one map can be delivered to all other clients connected. Also the image quality is very poor and a bit jerky due to MPEG4 compression - which is not the case at all live.

But this is a mapping site and so ill concentrate on the mapping side of things. So question 1 was asked can my VTT do mapping and can I provide a demo. Well yeah sure. In fact I have thought about this and every single 2D map image that you have ever seen from me has come from ViewingDale. All the 3D maps were DragonFlight exports and then there has been a general more 3D logo which was done in a 3D package which I did not develop.

Since my May Challenge entry was Fentor Cross Church which sits in my tile of the CWBP then I think the first movie should show it zooming around the world. Since it only maps in rectangles, it does not handle globes and curved space maps which is what the original world map was done for but I think that by the time you get to smaller scales the curved space does not matter so much. The scaling that I have applied for the world corresponds to that of my approx tile dimensions as defined by Torq, namely 600 miles square.

I have done 5 movies but to save my web site from multiple attacks of download ill post them one at a time. So here is movie #1 which shows a fly around CWBP, All the tiles, Thrubmorton, Hardy Island & Mere Fort, Fentor Cross and ending up on the May Challenge map region ready for movie 2.

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/VD_Demo2/Movie1.avi
    (25Mb)

All movies are in XviD codec format. Windows media player in XP should play them but you could do better with VLC from here :

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Enjoy...

Nice Redrobes, shame about the compression though, but I remember how clear and snappy VDale was on my desktop (long dead). I see you have added detail to Fentor Cross Village and it looks good. SeerBlue

Blog Entries

Hi Seer, compression needs to be small or else file gets really big. Was thinking about trying an H264 codec which is supposed to be better but few people have it.

I put first of your Thrix's tales on the CWBP wiki. I gotta get some of those names into Fentor Cross now . Are you going to have a stab at the June Challenge with some nifty sketchup ?

Edit -- Are you getting a lot of timeouts on the web site tonight ? I can see an issue with some router in Phoenix. Is 4.53.104.2 in your trace route ? If you "ping -t 4.53.104.2" do get lots of timeouts from it ? Its about 1 in 4 over here tonight.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 06-05-2008 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Hi Seer, compression needs to be small or else file gets really big. Was thinking about trying an H264 codec which is supposed to be better but few people have it.

I put first of your Thrix's tales on the CWBP wiki. I gotta get some of those names into Fentor Cross now . Are you going to have a stab at the June Challenge with some nifty sketchup ?

Edit -- Are you getting a lot of timeouts on the web site tonight ? I can see an issue with some router in Phoenix. Is 4.53.104.2 in your trace route ? If you "ping -t 4.53.104.2" do get lots of timeouts from it ? Its about 1 in 4 over here tonight.
    Rebrobes, that is just SICK. You did a top notch job in programming that. I am amazed at your skill, so will rep you if I can.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yep, was able to rep you. btw, when are you starting on the 3d version ala Sketch-Up???

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I was thinking about it, but I am not sure if it would be fair, there are technically 5 of us working on Snapgallows, aged from 3 to 13, plus me.
    and I am not sure if we would get it done in time. Creative differences rear their ugly head around lunch/nap time
    And I have to do a back story for them as well,so far it runs to 110 lines, and kids ask the most insightful, one word, "why" questions,, luckily we are watching the Corpse Bride for inspiration (and blame), and they are in the "Gallows" frame of mind. Carol is a little irked at me though as the middle 2 boys won't sleep in the downstairs room now,,,,and they blame the Head of Alfert Kier and Snapgallows.
    The kids discovered Sketchup styles in a submenu, so I think by monday we will kick out a few stylistic renders. They also figured out how to put mansard roofs onto towers, which I told them wouldn't work, and I thought I would have to do manually, so I'm quite happy.
    Saturday I will try To start a Snapgallows thread in the CWBP area, but the baby is due any time now, which is why I am still awake at 1:10 AM. So I may not get to it.
    I read the Thrixs' Oddling Bungler's Wiki entry, as did my Mother, Lizzie's Grandmother, and several siblings I don't remember having, but where in my email address book,,, very nice, but I blamed the spelling errors on you

Well I fuddled your thread enough I guess.

"Fear the Head of Alfert Kier"

SeerBlue, lernt by Carpet Orcs