Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ViewingDale & Fentor Cross Church High Res + CWBP demo (and even more)

Blog Entries

This last movie (at least for now) is dealing with scale and the projector mode. Projector mode is merely removing all the border stuff. You dont get status messages, the help button, the in program title bar etc - just the map. So when projected you get just the map and as much window border as MS gives you but no more. If you have a gaming table then you can not have any extra clutter on the projected image.

So we can switch on and off the border. Now as must be quite apparent by now, the app works in scale but at no fixed scale. The scale is up to you. What is often forgotten or not made clear is that the program works in real world scale. Now there is no easy way to show this except with a photo but what I have set up is some paper which has been set to be real world sized paper and put it on the altar. When we zoom in it shows at various sizes on the screen depending on the scale. The title bar shows the scale at the top. If you have gone through calibration, then that scale value is to real world. So when I have a piece of paper at A6 in the program and set the zoom to exactly 1:1 then it appears on the screen as exactly the same size as a real piece of A6 paper.

This is all jolly whizzy and useless unless you have a display mechanism that you need to integrate with the real world - like a projector. When using a projected image onto the gaming table then the image can be calibrated and the scale is real world exact. So setting the scale to 1:60 means that everything you import as icons appear on the gaming table at exactly the right scale with respect to your real 1:60 lead figure miniatures. So you dont have to do any faffing about with scaling your images & maps and your whole icon library to make it fit. Its right - its always right and you dont have to do anything to make it right bar entering a few numbers in calibration. That, I believe, is unique to ViewingDale.

Movie #5:
    http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/VD_Demo2/Movie5.avi
    (3Mb)

I'll post the map and photo next.

Blog Entries

The Photos:
    I have added a photo of Bemster's setup (who is a ViewingDale user) with his projector running a game.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FentorCrossChurch_HiRes.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	746.6 KB 
ID:	4172   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PaperA6.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	4173   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BemstersProjector.png 
Views:	148 
Size:	537.2 KB 
ID:	4175  
    Last edited by Redrobes; 06-06-2008 at 02:06 PM.

The videos are fantastic Redrobes. They really show off what you can do in Viewingdale and also give a nice view of all the stuff happening in the CWBP. I recommend that everyone see these, even though they are big files. Man zooming in from world overview size doen to the guy on the horsecart, how cool.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

The miniatures on the gaming table look reaaallly cool, now I wish I had kept all the ones I had in Japan, perhaps I can cajole my nephew into returning a few, with all the added levels he has earned!
    and now another thing the FOHC want to try, added to the list.
    SeerBlue

edit; Doesn't Bemster have a description of his projector set up on the VDale forum?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12