Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jan/Feb 2013 Lite Challenge Entry - "Oivalf's Odyssey"

Now that I have some extra time I'm taking a look at the other entries. A very interesting way of doing a map, I may try it sometime ("noted" ).

BTW, did you draw the mountains yourself? I liked them, and if you say you are using pre-made brushes I'll be even more surprised considering I just can't get this "connection" with premade mountains. Nice job on them.

Thanks...The mountains are brushes I found on Deviant Art ("Sketchy" was the name I think...but I do remember that they were free to use)...The brush set was set up pretty well for connecting mountains. It had a few big single mountains and then a few small mountains that could fit on either side of the big ones.

Here's an update...I've been experimenting with hatch fills...I tried adding some trees in Myrr but I thought it made the whole thing look too busy. The place markers and labels are temporary...still not sure how many I want to throw in there.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Myrr Project_v3.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	51792
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

I think they are StarRaven's brushes. You've used them really well.

Thanks for the link. Good to give credit where credit is due. I've thanked him and posted a link to this entry.

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Made a few last minute fixes...can't think of anything else to add to this...so, this will probably be my last entry unless anyone has any suggestions.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Oivalfs Journey.jpg 
Views:	126 
ID:	52035

I especially love the journey itself. Condensed ike it, it sparks the imagination. The map is very nice in his simplicity, I think a more workd map would have been distracting or out of place. Good job !

Very nice story and I agree, the maps have just the right weight to support the journal. You should fix the "primatives" typo in the first paragraph, though.

Thanks guys....fixed the typo and added one more city name. I'm glad to get some validation for the minimalist map approach...I really did intend to add more detail to them in the beginning, but as it developed things started to get too cluttered. Plus, it sort of fits with the narrative that Oivalf is only loosely familiar with this new land.

### Winner ###

Name:	Oivalfs Journey.jpg 
Views:	320 
ID:	52145
    Last edited by ChickPea; 09-04-2018 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Added Winner tag

Quote Originally Posted by anomiecoalition View Post
    I'm glad to get some validation for the minimalist map approach...
    Really? I don't know if it's considered proper to discuss the voting before it happens, but I had been considering you the front-runner. Your map is excellently executed, clear, appealing, and fulfills the requirements of the challenge in a unique & clever way - I will be honestly surprised if it doesn't win this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomalak View Post
    Really? I don't know if it's considered proper to discuss the voting before it happens, but I had been considering you the front-runner. Your map is excellently executed, clear, appealing, and fulfills the requirements of the challenge in a unique & clever way - I will be honestly surprised if it doesn't win this one.
    I would agree. Even the way it's presented, as a journal of sorts, adds to the experience that this is a journey. I think you had my vote before I even submitted my own first draft! (And Tomalak, I don't think anyone will frown on our manners since it's our own maps we're voting against here... )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12