Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bogie's Fast Maps

Map Bogie's Fast Maps

Most of the time when I make maps I spend a lot of time with furniture, objects, shadows and lighting,
    but some DM's would rather have just the floorplan so they can use their own imagination and set up the dungeon as they wish.

So with that in mind I am going to try a new series of maps that I'll call Bogie's Fast Maps. Nothing fancy, just a bunch of quick floorplans with no specific plan.

This first one took me about 20 minutes in Dundjinni and another 15 minutes in Photoshop to put it on the background, re-size it a couple ways and save.
    Let me know if you think this is a series I should continue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fast Maps#1_bg.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	3.32 MB 
ID:	51308

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Seems legit and nice for 35 mins work. Maybe blurring more the shadows? Would take only 30s more

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Pryme8's Avatar

why not go hard like you do and make construction tiles where a DM could take print outs of what you did, cut them and rearrange them how they please to make any shape of dungeon?

you would be the guy who could pull this off, you know make Giant Hex Peaces or something, and inside them have hallways that can connect and different designs of rooms!

if you do it a standard size you could have sets of your furniture and other tops downs and cut outs to put where ever on your tiles.

Have you talked to a publisher about making a book, and doing card-stock punch-outs? with all your content you could release a few and have expansions and stuff, if you have not considered that you should... I want to kind do the same thing, but mine was a little different style then you... I can see your books in roll playing dens across the world!

If you need any help with setting up the pages for print, and getting it submitted to a publisher let me know, Id love to be a part of it!

Thanks Pryme8, I have done a tile set before, but not for publishing.

Here is a second map, or a portion of a larger map perhaps.

Both of these maps used grunge backgrounds modified from posts by StruckDumb, found on DeviantArt.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fast Maps-2_bg.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	3.28 MB 
ID:	51317

Ferrol, Coruña, Spain, Earth, Solar System

I like the paviment tiles/textures but I see something weird in the brick texture of the first map. Despite this very good job!

Quote Originally Posted by AntonioFrade View Post
    I see something weird in the brick texture of the first map.!
    Interesting riddle. I looked at all areas with the brick texture but failed to find anything weird at all. Maybe you could share your secret and tell us what it is.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

really like this second map...the background really makes it pop...you've been repped in spirit
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Oliva View Post
    Interesting riddle. I looked at all areas with the brick texture but failed to find anything weird at all. Maybe you could share your secret and tell us what it is.
    The ONLY thing that I think might be weird is maybe the bricks are all orientated the same way (horizontaly). Masons lay bricks facing the wall so in an ideal worls they would follow the orientation of the wall, being vertical in someplaces and curving on a, well, curving wall. In an ideal world. How you would do that with a texture I have NOOOO clue.

I like this idea Bogie. The only thing I might add would be room numbers. This way the GM would not have to write on the printout in order to not get confused between rooms, and neither will the players..

Rep AWAY!!!
    Last edited by Korash; 01-18-2013 at 04:14 PM. Reason: speilink
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you like this idea.

I agree with the brick issue, but I can't change the orientation of the texture ( the problem is even worse with wood textures ). I could make a second set of tiles that face the other way and use them on the vertical walls, but then I would have to blend the corners by hand and the whole point is to be able to make these maps fast. From an artistic point you are right, but I doubt the players will care.

I wasn't planning on adding room numbers but it would be easy enough to do, what do other people think?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast