Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heraldry - Explanations of Violations

If I may add some information, the rule "no metal on metal" is also true for colors. Apparently the rule was meant to increase contrast between the parts of the banner, so that it would be easily recognised from afar. Metals would have more "shiny" fabric, compared to plain colors. (white and yellow being fairer than the other colors, I guess? I don't think cloth-of-gold would be used for banners, though)

So I guess even when designing fantasy heraldry, one should still keep in mind that goal.

Nice cheat sheet!

Guild Member Facebook Connected Chris Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    Thanks to the miracle of the Internet, you can easily reference existing summaries (e.g., Heraldry). You might find that easier than recreating the work, unless creating a fictional alternative heraldry.
    Very detailed site, rdanhenry. Thank you for sharing!

Guild Member Facebook Connected Chris Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pryme8 View Post
    Ive noticed more often then naught, people have gross violations in the rules of heraldry when they make coat of arms and Fields of Heraldry. I mean there is master of arms for a reason... and even I have had lots of trouble with it... so here the first step to my Heraldry Cheat sheet... its not close to being done yet but I started taking some good chunks out of the pie.

Hope this help...

Attachment 51313
    Hi Pryme8. Interesting attachment, thank you for providing. Was wondering if you could supply your source since I'm not adept at heraldry. Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12