Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jan/Feb lite challenge entry - Words of Destiny

Default Jan/Feb lite challenge entry - Words of Destiny

The title may sound a little weird, but I couldn't think of a better one that kept a decent size, but it does is a map of a journey. Anyway, it has been so long since my last visit to the forum, apparently college takes more time than I expected , but now I'm on vacation and there is no better way to starting posting again than on a Challenge

The background of mine is a region being attacked by some sort of humanoid army, the Capital city is far way from the frontier (where the army is attacking). Noticing his city couldn't hold much longer, William Silverwood, a common lumberjack, goes into a quest to call for the help of the capital army and try to save not only his life, but also his friends and people he doesn't even know.

The journey is done by foot as there were no horses left in the city. Going trough mountains, forests, plains, enemies and the lack of food he finally get to the Capital, almost dead, to ask for help. For his bravery and willpower William became some sort of legend, and his journey now is mapped by the king's Cartographer, as Will described.

I still have no map, but i have drawn some stuff that i may use on the map, they also help me think
    From left to right, the guy is William when going out on the quest, the second image is supposed to be a mountain pass he went trough, and the final one is the screaming forest.

Hope you like it, any criticism is welcome

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The messeger_1.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	51318

Good stuff. The "Screaming Forest" is creepy!
    M

So few entries for this lite challenge

Well, I have finally done a map for my entry, and here it is. I'm trying to make it all by hand (except the coloring) but I'm facing a little problem called "lack of scanner", the great Torstan's "Use you phone as a scanner" tutorial still couldn't make me get a perfect scan, but it's pretty good i think.

For now I've only "scanned" it as a matter of test, so that I can know how it will look like. I've also colored a bit the bottom left frame. As you may see there's a lot to do to make it look good to face a challenge, but I think I can do it on time

The circles on the map are supposed to be where I'm going to place the illustrations I've done (and posted here). The road ends on nowhere because I still have to draw the capital city, I'm just thinking how...

Hope you like,

PS: Oh yeah, before any "River Police" says anything, I know that the river confusion at the bottom right is something unlike to happen (not to say impossible I guess) but it is totally intencional.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	the_messeger_09.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	51693
    Last edited by Beoner; 01-31-2013 at 03:49 PM. Reason: adding "latest wip" sentence

Apart from the river confusion and scanning issues I think it looks pretty sharp! What are you planning on putting into the circles? Some of the stuff from your initial sketches?

You might try Fedex/Kinkos or whatever passes for your local copy/shipping/office shop in Brazil. I'm sure you have something similar. They'll usually do a pretty good scan for a few bucks (here in the US anyway).
    M

This is going to be really cool...love the idea of throwing the illustrations into the map

And I also hope more people enter this challenge....particularly since the primary inspiration for my entry was one of yours from a while back.
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Exactly, my idea is to put some of those drawins I've posted on the first post inside the circles, illustrating some of the areas William has passed by.
    About the Fedex, I'm not sure we have something like that here (never heard about it at least), but I'll check, since we copy lots of the American stuff we may have copied it too =P

I'm very happy too hear that I inspired someone to enter the challenge, really happy. There are still some more days, maybe some guys show up at the last minute and post lots of entries xD

Ok, so here is what I've done today:
    -Finished the map by hand;
    -Photo-scanned it;
    -"Photoshoped" the scan;

It's basicly what I was going for, except for the scan issues of course, but I'm pretty happy with what it turned out. I used some light colors trying to make things not to pop out when you first look at it, I also tought about coloring the mountains, hills and the marsh, but I couldn't get a nice result so I just gave up and let the way it is. The circles are now filled with the illustrations, I hope you like it even if my drawing is not that good. Also, I wrote some notes along the map, simples texts to follow William's route by Agard (and because basicaly all may maps have those texts ).

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	the_messeger_26.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	51711

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Nice. But you realize that your photo scan was a bit curved, and so is your map, do you?

Unfortunately yes, I do realize. The problem is that I don't have idea why this happened, I mean, it happened with all picutres I took... I'll try getting a real scan with one friend, let's see if it gets better, I'll post in case I finish on time

I recently discovered a warp option in photoshop (under transform) that lets you bend aspects of your image. I think this would straighten your border out. But, even if you can't straighten it out, its still a really cool map and the curve actually fits with the idea that your adventurer made this map while travelling.
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast