Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Map

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Very nice. I wish I could make a first map that good.

Can I ask for some info? Tell us about the fonts, brushes, etc. that you used. Did you develop them or download them somewhere? How will you use the map? What resolution is the original? How did you organize your layers? I'm very interested because I am a (computer-created) mapping novice. I bet you asked these questions too!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I like this too. I really don't have a problem with the "blurring' around the coast at all. It matches the rest of the pallet if you ask me. I also agree with torstan on his comments. I would suggest that next time you use this style, that you use a line at least half as thick (maybe only double the line weight of the mountains) and maybe not so dark, maybe more grey than black. In either the Tutorial or How Do I forums there is a sticky on how to properly place your rivers. Makes for a good read IMO.

As a primer, think of rivers as trees, the ground the sea, and then look at all the branches. You will notice that the branches are more numerous and thinner the further away they are from the ground. Most branches also join their supporting member at a gentle angle or at least less than 90degrees. Most of the time. Not always. But most of the time. Makes the sap flow easier. Same with rivers and streams.

Not too sure if that was clear or not (long week, longer day) but I hope it helps none the less. Keep up the good work and hope to see more from you
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I can't really add anything to what the other folks have already said, except that I don't think those are Schwarzie's mountain and tree brushes; I think they're actually Starraven's.

Very impressive, and hope to see more stuff from you. And welcome to the Guild!

Just another thing. Mountains and buildings should have consistent shadows.
    Mountain graphics are quite sharp edged, rivers and towns are blurred.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freehand 5.5 View Post
    Just another thing. Mountains and buildings should have consistent shadows.
    Mountain graphics are quite sharp edged, rivers and towns are blurred.
    Moutains have shadows on the east, buildings on the west - south/west. Light should come from the same direction. Those different brushes weren't shaded the same way

Guild Novice Facebook Connected MiddleEnglander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rogue_gamer View Post
    Very nice. I wish I could make a first map that good.

Can I ask for some info? Tell us about the fonts, brushes, etc. that you used. Did you develop them or download them somewhere? How will you use the map? What resolution is the original? How did you organize your layers? I'm very interested because I am a (computer-created) mapping novice. I bet you asked these questions too!
    The info for fonts and brushes can be found underneath the picture itself. :3 I downloaded all of the brushes I used, I'm trying to hand-draw my own presently.

The original resolution is 3,000 x 3,500 px. Each section had a different layer - background, coastline, mountains, trees, etc. It makes individualising effects easier, or so I've found.

Thanks for all the great feedback, folks, I'll be putting it to good use.

Welcome to the Guild! Nice job on this. I agree with Torstan though, best to post your work directly at the Guild.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12