Thread: Introduction from an archaeologist and old school gamer

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Default Introduction from an archaeologist and old school gamer

Hi there,

I recently joined cause this seems like a great community of like-minded people. I'm a professor at Texas A&M Galveston (Archaeology). I absolutely love maps, and I'm just now beginning to learn about the superb resources available. I'm also an old school gamer. I played AD&D until about 1993. I recently looked at the new edition of the game and found it has been replaced by something vaguely resembling what I used to play.

I don't know what I will be doing here. Possibly I will be trying to implement the awesome artistic skills of some of the members into archaeological or museum end-products.

Or, possibly I will re-ignite my interest in gaming and apply my 20 years of expertise as an anthropologist and archaeologist to develop exciting and culturally consistent gaming worlds.

We will see,

The Rogue Gamer (Dr. Frederic Pearl)

Archeology \o/ That is a great knowledge base to bring into map-making and world building!

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

I hope so! Maps you see at archaeology conferences are very boring (usually). I guess most of my colleagues weren't as nerdy as me in college.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Pryme8's Avatar

I would be very excited to see what kind of projects you would partake in, with an extensive background like that you will have very unique incites! I was thinking about sitting in on some cartography classes up at HSU. If your school offers some I would talk to the other professor and get it in!