Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The world of Erinn [Please Comment]

Ferrol, Coruña, Spain, Earth, Solar System

Hi,

I had found some spare time to work on the map a bit more. Currently I had finished the rose of the winds (I don´t know if that is the correct translation for the "rosa de los vientos" term, but for clarifing is the compass) and the canvas that surrounds the map.

The map itself was painted on a bovine parchment (a vellum) which is sewed to a piece of silk cloth that protects and envelops (when folded) the exterior of the map. To ensure even further the piece of leather to fabric, the map has four silver filigrees (one in each corner) that pass through each of the layers uniting them together. The compass rose is constructed with fine pieces of precious metals placed one above the other and secured to the map using small screws which have been camouflaged through the inclusion of gems.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013_01_17_World_Map_0_Complete_Rotulacion_RoftheW.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	554.7 KB 
ID:	51881

The idea is that this map actually exists in the campaign world, designed and build by a guild of cartographers who rent their services to merchants, sailors, etc. The incredible precision of the data depicted in the map comes from one of the eastern eggs hidden in the world ^^.

I would like any coment/critique that will help me to improve the map. I am not very satisfied with the exterior silk cloth color, I am thinking in change it to a crimson/gold cloth...

Bye
    Last edited by AntonioFrade; 02-06-2013 at 01:17 PM.

Very nice work, this deserves some rep!! Give a shot at the crimson / gold combo but what you have is nice.

Guild Journeyer

Nice indeed ! I really like the canvas too, that gives more consistance to your vellum.

Thanks to everybody.

I hope for get some more free time to end the map itself: I have to review the map's rivers cause wilbur missed to paint the little ones in the river map and finish the area of the Cloudener Seas (an area in the south-west of the map that has solid or semisolid clouds (made of a magic-hardened gas called cloudener).

Just now had finished one of my favourite features of Erinn: The Cloudener Seas.

Between the continent of Ire and the Elven Republic there is a magical phenomenon originated by the interaction of the magical field of the planet with a exotic gas called cloudener. In presence of magic this gas become solid but still lighter than air (remember, its magic . The physical aspect of the solidified cloudener is like a common cloud, even floating in the thin air, but to all effects it is solid (even blocks light). In the Cloudener Seas, depending of the force of the magic currents the density of the cloudener varies between a dense liquid-like state to a rock-solid state. The full-solid cloudener acts like common dirt even in the water-retaining capabilities, the liquid one acts like common water, so this area has a self-susteinable enviroment including specific vegetation and fauna.

This facts allowed to several civilizations to establish themselves in The Cloudener Seas. Currently there are two a race of bird-man (tengu-like) and a race of human adapted to this particular enviroment (light skeleton, low strength but high dexterity/quickness).

This is the representation in the map of the area described above (I am aware of the visible seam in the planet "surface", It is because I did a quick background using the offset filter in photoshop only to see the effect of the cloud layer over the general map:

Name:	2013_01_17_World_Map_0_CloudenerSeas.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	52361

I tried several methods to create the clouds but at the end I used a mix between using clouds taken from satellite photos and hand paint several of the areas/shadows/lights to obtain the desired texture.

As always, all comments are welcomed.

Bye,

I think I did the previous post at the wrong time of the day

Guild Journeyer

I would say this is an interesting feature of your world I like the clouds texture, the rendering is really good in my opinion.

Maybe ocean is a bit too dark, but that may be caused by my own screen.

This is the lastest WIP of the geo-map. I am going to keep it like now and move to the naming work stage. I will correct the forest size and shape at the same time I will be adding the political labels (you know, removing forest near the cities and more civilized areas to reflect the effects of the human hand).

The map is at 12,5% os its original size:

Name:	2013_02_18_World_Map_0_Complete_12%.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	52369

Bye,

I decided the final style of the lettering for main regions/countries. I had followed the same style that has the compass rose (metallic pieces attached to the map through small gems). I am going to use this style for the political borders of the diferent countries so all the labeling elements would be unified.

Name:	2013_02_18_World_Map_0_Complete_Rotulacion_example.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	433.0 KB 
ID:	52378

Bye,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast