Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The world of Erinn [Please Comment]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ferrol, Coruña, Spain, Earth, Solar System

Wip The World of Erinn worldmap

This is the very WIP of my first (computer-made) map.

This is the north-western cuadrant of the world. The complete map is a little big (about 190x95cm at 300dpi) so I had to split the file in four parts because if not my computer freezed each time I hide/show some layers and wilbur directly become crazy when I tried to do a fill basins.

I am implementing the techniques that I took from Arsheesh's tutorials but with a few mods of my own (usually with worse results, but I like to experiment). There is a lot of room to improvement / to do (like to find a more rock like texture/look for the mountains, cause I dont like much the brown dirt/white snow look), but one step at time .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013_01_11_world_map_textures_1st_quarter_lowres.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	51322
    Last edited by AntonioFrade; 02-19-2013 at 07:59 AM. Reason: changed the title

Thank you so much for sharing!!!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map

Guild Journeyer

Hello,

I like your map, you made a good contrast between dense and sparse forest/jungle.

Maybe water is a bit too dark ? But this may be an artifact caused by my Web navigator...

Snow could be nice, maybe it is just landscape that is missing ? Otherwise your mountains look quite good too (well except on small islands, I cannot figure such high peaks so close from ocean).

Good work !

Hi to everybody!

Lately I am a bit busy with my [paid] work, so I have had so many time as I would like to work in my map. But... there is the current state of the world of Erinn.

Name:	2013_01_22_World_Map_0_Complete_small.jpg 
Views:	1017 
Size:	230.8 KB 
ID:	51485
    This is the complete world. The image has been reduced to a 6,25% of its real size.

Name:	2013_01_22_World_Map_0_Complete_snippet.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	465.3 KB 
ID:	51486
    This is a real-size crop of the main map.

I am still struggling with the mountain/hills/grasslands texture, although I think the mountain part of the map will remain as could be seen in the second image. The forests will be done with a overlay layer over the actual ones. The rivers still need a bit more of work (the births need to be color fixed), and the lettering/labeling is still a mistery

Mornagest:
    The sea color is other of my concerns. I tried a more lighter color, but I think it divert the attetion of the viewer from the mainland.

Otherwise your mountains look quite good too (well except on small islands, I cannot figure such high peaks so close from ocean).
    The small mountainous islands bellow the north-east continent have its reason. They are one of the "easter eggs" of the world. They become formed by a sumerged mountainous ridge.

Bye!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Not a great fan of lands shapes but it's a personnal taste...

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Not a great fan of lands shapes but it's a personnal taste...

Why? Did you prefer a more solid/rounded continents?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

To my eyes the location of continents and the islands "rings" reinforced by the pale blue areas of the sea kinda spread attention I think

Mmmm, you may be right... I am used to see my large-size version, where there isn´t so many contrast between the dark and the light areas of the sea. In addition the white color of the islands futher increase this sensation.

reinforced by the pale blue areas of the sea
    BTW the pale areas in the sea are submerged mountain ridges.

I will work on it.

The funny thing is that the way the shapes are drawn I see creatures. there's a praying mantis, an undead horse, chinese dragon, and a couple more. On a more serious side, I think it looks good, but it's not something i'm drawn to. The land areas are too...just too for me. I do like how you used the colors though, they seem to work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_potato_head View Post
    The funny thing is that the way the shapes are drawn I see creatures. there's a praying mantis, an undead horse, chinese dragon, and a couple more. On a more serious side, I think it looks good, but it's not something i'm drawn to. The land areas are too...just too for me. I do like how you used the colors though, they seem to work well.
    Jeje, I had seen the chinese dragon, but I cannot see the horse or the mantis. The fact is that I was not looking for these shapes when I drew the first sketch of the map.

The colors are going to change a bit. I am not completly satisfied with the low hills/flatlands zones. I think that the actual colors contrast too much.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast