Thread: Dorrandin, a whole continent for roleplay in writing

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer

Wip [WIP] Dorrandin, a whole continent for roleplay in writing

Hi, I would like to introduce my very first trial in cartography - maybe the only I will ever make... I reached the goal I targetted, namely to have a readable map. But its aesthetic could be improved, don't you think ?

The context : I, with some friends, am roleplaying in writing on a forum, in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting. We use, as geographical background, an unexplored continent that we drawed as we wanted.

He is the old map we were using :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dorrandin.jpg 
Views:	522 
Size:	273.1 KB 
ID:	51327

As you can see, it is not really readable, even for French-speaking people. So I recently decided to remake it. After some trials, I managed to make this :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dorrandindefinitif.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	51329

(normally it has transparency but I had to convert the map in .jpg becuase of its weight, sorry). For our game, this is enough : readable, quite large, not too creepy... but I would like to have some advices to improve it, especially the different colors used (mountain brushes do not have the same colour than hill brushes, for example).

To realize that map, I used brushes made by Gidde (trees) and Vhailor (hills and mountains). I made the canyon with a fault generated by an earthquake in Caesar III.

What advices would you give me ?

I thank you in advance !

PS : please excuse my poor English
    Last edited by Mornagest; 01-19-2017 at 04:23 PM.