Thread: Height Map Maker

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Height Map Maker

Hello, My Names Tom.

Im the head manager of an upcoming game called Odyssey. Its a voxel Mmorpg game wich lets the player do near anything and offers many of the same systems from some of the most popular mmo's.

I would gladly pay for a indepth detailed height map of the current picture i have already drawn.
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8050/8...e05cba2b_k.jpg
    (I have never attempted at mapmaking before so excuse me if it looks choppy).. If you have anything to add, like mountains and such feel free to change it in the height map. I havent taken any type of geology classes so im not even sure the mountains ive made are correct. Anyway to render the world i need a height map of this in very fine detail, i can discuss payment afterwards.
    Thank you very much!
    -Tom

Edit: If this is not possible please let me know, also if you are taking up the job also let me know .
    Thank you!
    Last edited by tommygoesha; 01-18-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Can you provide any email or contactaddress for those interested in contacting you about this commission? As long as you have less than 5 postings you cannot received personal messeges within the Boardsystem.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    Can you provide any email or contactaddress for those interested in contacting you about this commission? As long as you have less than 5 postings you cannot received personal messeges within the Boardsystem.
    You can message me here or skype or my email.

email: tom_moore3290@yahoo.com
    Thanks

Blog Entries

This is kinda interesting as I write height map software and make height map terrains. Just a first up question to get into an order of magnitude... what kind of pixel res should this height map end up as. We can do any size but as the res goes up it gets more work and progress gets slower. It seems that if a pixel is going to be 1 voxel x height then the scale of interaction is quite large unless the res is enormous.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    This is kinda interesting as I write height map software and make height map terrains. Just a first up question to get into an order of magnitude... what kind of pixel res should this height map end up as. We can do any size but as the res goes up it gets more work and progress gets slower. It seems that if a pixel is going to be 1 voxel x height then the scale of interaction is quite large unless the res is enormous.
    Honestly i cant quite say, Its a voxel\minecraft based game, its minecraft with more rpg to it (more features then vanilla version, many have attempted it but this is ran off its own game engine so that we dont have all the technicalities that minecraft mods have)

the map is around 15000 x 15000 blocks.. roughly itll take maybe an hr-2 or more to get across it.
    the software im using will allow me to make the image to the right size i need (15k x 15k) so it sort of has to be perfect between the two.. i would roughly say around 3000 pixels x 3000? i cant be sure

Blog Entries

Ok, thats less than I had imagined. I would think that if you made it 3K then your terrain in minecraft would look blobby but I think a division by 2 would still be ok. So maybe 8K or 15K would work fine but less than 4K prob not. But its not in the > 20K stuff where it can get a bit silly. I'll have a chat with my wingman and see how he feels about this...

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Ok, thats less than I had imagined. I would think that if you made it 3K then your terrain in minecraft would look blobby but I think a division by 2 would still be ok. So maybe 8K or 15K would work fine but less than 4K prob not. But its not in the > 20K stuff where it can get a bit silly. I'll have a chat with my wingman and see how he feels about this...
    Alright i have 2 others as well looking for the position so anyone who is more.. capable of it i can hire =]. I dont want to seem mean and turn down anyone but i have to
    Please add me on skype and i can talk to quicker, i also need to find out the estimate $.
    Last edited by tommygoesha; 01-18-2013 at 04:25 PM.