Thread: The Swill

Wip The Swill

All things have a beginning...
    I have been a member here for a few years, and pop in from time to time to enjoy the beautiful & intriguing maps. Often I will assuage my boredom with mapmaking attempts of my own, but rarely do they reach the level of completion or quality necessary to keep my attention - they are just doodles. Recently, I came across HQCosThea's brown watercolor textures, labeled "free to use," and was inspired to make a new map. I am pleased with how it turned out, and have worked out some history for it. I am posting it here for your critique, in order that I may polish it up before posting it in the Finished Maps thread.

There are two versions, one with labels and one without.

Hmm... slight problem - I am having trouble with the file uploader. I am using .png images, and the system seems intuitive, but it does not seem to be uploading the file, nor do I see any error message. For now I'll host them elsewhere, but if you can help me I'd like to get them attached here properly.

Unlabeled Version Labeled Version
    Last edited by Tomalak; 01-19-2013 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Correcting textual error

Guild Member Facebook Connected Thordred's Avatar

I found that it only works with so big a file. I could upload one of 1920px but higher then that was a problem.

It's simply too big to be uploaded via the site

I like your map. However I think you should make either the land or the ocean a darker color. Right now it's hard to tell which is which.

I agree with Thordred or else you map is god and yes welcome beck.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map

I did something to lighten the sea, please let me know how it looks. I also adjusted my labels to make them clearer, but may have made them too bright, still not sure on that.

Oh yeah, and I made it small enough to fit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Swill.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	600.7 KB 
ID:	51675

I adjusted the sea texture to be a more strident change. I'm kind of at a loss as to what to add next, but it still doesn't feel 'done.' Thoughts?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Swill 2.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	607.9 KB 
ID:	51788