Thread: January 2013 Entry: The castle under the sand

Default January 2013 Entry: The castle under the sand

Well, I said I would enter this contest and thus I do. Did some 3d modeling of various ruined structures the last few days and here is a first snapshot. Still have to turn it into a proper map now. Hmm, top down orthographic projection probably. Not entirely sure about the details yet though ...

Long ago the castle under the sand was one of many small fortifications guarding a caravan route running along the outskirts of a large desert. And while it withstood raiders and wars it had no chance against the ravages of time. Ever so slowly it was covered by the encroaching wandering dunes of the desert. Despite the best efforts of the garrison the castle's well fell dry, filled with sand and thus the castle had to be abandoned to be slowly covered by sand. Today as the large wandering dunes have passed what little remains of the castle has surfaced again, not much more than a small landmark in the desert.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	partial.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	214.9 KB 
ID:	51368

Nice Iso Map, looks good.

Very cool. I'm looking forward to seeing how you present it in the final.
    M

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Pretty cool! I wish I knew how to do stuff like this...

Made some adjustments to the camera to make it a "real" ISO map and added a first draft of a scale and some text. Not entirely sure about those yet though.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IsoMap.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	581.8 KB 
ID:	51413

Coming along nicely.

Are you planning to "dirty up" the stones before you are finished? It seems there would be more sand on top of the stones that are showing. I know it's early days in the process and probably not that big a deal to blow some sand on them but it does kind of look like the maids have been through.

What are you using to create this cuz I really like what you are doing so far.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thank you so much for sharing!!!!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map

Thanks for the replies. Dirtying it up a bit might be a good idea. Sadly my PC can barely handle the file as is. Thus no adding a particle effect at this time. Doing most of my work in Blender ( blender.org - Home ), as I like to model stuff in 3d (it helps that Blender is a free tool). At times I do some post render adjustments in OpenCanvas or Artrage.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Pryme8's Avatar

the measurements are off, by your grid those doors are like 35 feet tall... drop it down to like 4 or 5 feet per square and i think the space will be more believable!

I like this a lot thought just so you know.