Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 12] [Location 01] - Finger Islands

Post Deeper Plan

I have decided that this is far more fun if I don't rush the project.

My plan is to fill the little map at the top of the page, or explain why it isn't filled .

I have guestimated the island as 57sq miles and decided to start there.

Basic Outline:

Talworth Island - Has been inhabited by halflings for a great deal of time and rather chaotic. With the rise of Groam a leader appeared (human or ?) who was able to build a keep in the region and convinced the halflings to exchange fealty for his protection. Not universally popular but no rebellion either.

I am using various random population generators to refine my idea based on the area taken from the map and its situation, an island.

Ideas I'd like some feedback on.

1. 'Festor/ is a fairly benevolent shape changing dragon. In his human form he has far lower food requirements and can disguise his presence.
    He is the patron of a mage school on the peninsula.

2. Navy of the Inner Sea.

3. The Finger Islands are the center of a Principality that includes the main islands, perhaps the specks, and a city on each shore.
    So the city in the Bay, and the edge of Groam would both be trading centers owing allegiance to a central keep and Prince.

I'd love any response to the above ideas.

- sigurd

Here is a pdf of early demographics based on the "Low Fantasy Population Generator" by Erin D. Smale. I find it much easier to start with something then morph it into something different.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talworth Island.pdf  

Post Kalabar Is Born!

Does anyone have a problem with me making the Principality of Kalabar?

I chose the name by way of explaining the swamps.

It is far older than Groam but has never seen the wealth that Groam saw in the silver boom. They're ship builders and Magic makers and very Druid friendly. The Prince, there is no king, has a Druid Seneschal.

The ruling family is old, reclusive and very traditional. It is rumored that they have 'special' ties to the swamp etc...

These are their claimed lands. (reality can of course differ)

Ok with people?

Sigurd
    Last edited by Sigurd; 06-10-2008 at 02:32 PM.

Sounds good to me.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Fine with me, once you're done with the project I can edit the main map to suit, so please - go with your imagination...which is a pretty good one from what I'm reading.

Post Kalibari

Kalabari:The Kalabari are a fierce tribe of superstitious Northmen. They are excellent sailors and knowledgeable guides of the inland seas. Kalabari boats are clinker built and very agile.

They are organized into clans that gather in "Things". An island or coastal settlement might be one clan or a group of clans. The biggest ritual things are at the solstices. Things may be called by royal decree, for religious observances, or to respond to threats or omens.

Voting at the Things is based on the number of manned warboats a clan supports.

Their religious center is the high temple in the Kalabar Swamp. The Priestess of the Kalabari is called "The Keeper". From her place in the temple she advises the Prince and heads a network of druids and witches primarily made up of women. Each Kalabar clan will have at least one keeper of their own to advise and lead religious observances. Traditionally keepers help choose life paths among the clans by vision and divination.

Clan keepers may be male or female but they must receive training from the central temple. Local keepers are chosen by clan leaders and the High Keeper at a ceremony in the high temple. Keepers almost never return to the clan of their birth.

The symbol of the Kalabari royal household is a serpent or dragon. The Prince of the Kalabari is said to be able to raise storms and even Festus herself.

On lake Festus, dark nights, or terrible storms are sometimes called "Kalabari" weather. Kalabari have been known to attack settlements under these conditions.

Polygamy (male or female) exists rarely among the clans. Poverty is grounds for divorce for any spouse after the first. Divorced women may choose to 'Marry the Prince' and become brides in waiting. The Prince's family often resettles these women among other clans or absorbs them into the household. Divorced men may choose to 'Marry the Land' and wander the wilderness in search of a mate or clan that will accept them. Some of these men become Keepers, even late in life, others become hermits or mercenaries.

They have a deserved reputation for being fierce pirates and unruly neighbors. They are equally known for being very generous with their allies and loyal.

- Sigurd

What do you think?

Talroth - How bout making the pirates renegade vikings? They could be Kalabari rebels gone viking.
    Last edited by Sigurd; 06-10-2008 at 07:46 PM.

Guild Journeyer

I wouldn't call them Vikings personally, "The Speck Pirates" or "Reivers of the Specks" or something sounds better than Viking in my mind. But I would put them in small, fast ships, ones slightly larger than Norse Longboats. Crewed by 20 to 30 warriors when raiding, or as little as 6 to 12 when out trading for their own reasons. Sometimes raiding in small packs of 4 to 8 ships, often herding their prey into traps. Maybe making use of some magic items to allow them to communicate, and better ambush ships.

Should they be the polite "Give us the better half of your cargo as 'tax' and get lost?" or "Yeah, you're going to die, your ship is now ours, and we'll 'enjoy' any women you have aboard, dead or alive." type pirates?

I'm making the southern ones as rather blood thirsty, but often pull themselves up short to keep from drawing too much attention to themselves, often relying on spies from Irontown to help them zero in on the best ships to take out.

Sorry I was unclear, "Viking" was originally a verb similar in meaning to Pirate. Thats how I intended it. I'm sure pirate crews, or raiding crews, would try to be purposely vague about their identities and organization .

My thought was that the Kalabari have an unruly society that values and builds war boats. Independence is a central tenant. Fringe members, or just greedy ones, would make natural pirates. The rest of the society might cover for them out of loyalty or greed. They'd officially condemn the act for diplomacy. Still unless raiders preyed on Kalabari lands, the worst punishment they would receive might be being made outlaws. If the 'Speck Pirates' have been outlawed, whose to say what their detailed membership is.... or even if a clan, hard on its luck, keeps a set of colours around just in case.

I've sort of designed the culture to spit off people, guides and rugged settlers. They might be found on any appealing coastline or island in the inland seas. They might be mercenaries working in Irontown or Groam. They might be religious figures on dream quest in some far away wilderness.

Alternately, Groamites??? or other people from the Beastlands might join Kalabari tribes to swell the ranks of soldiers that man the war boats. The status associated with boats creates a need for sailors and a justification for a lot of boats\trade\piracy. If a tribe is recognized by the Prince it gets a vote at Things according to the war boats it maintains. Acts of piracy and crimes against the Kalabari are heard and settled at the appropriate Thing. There's a mechanic to recognise other nations by their nautical power as well.

I'm trying to create the impression of a lot of rugged people living by their wits with a religeous center and a political champion. They would want to be lawful and useful as well as warlike. The whole human spectrum. Irontown should not know where to hunt the pirates and be uncomfortable with the idea of randomly attacking the Kalabari.

Its a point of tension for the region. One region, one people, is very static. I'd like to think that 3 peoples in 2 regions is a natural triangle with tension and intrigue. More opportunity for story.

Sigurd.

Feel free to use the background if it helps or do your own thing. I'm writing from the Kalabari perspective which certainly would be different from Iron Town's. The Kalabari will put trading posts and warning camps on the specks closest to the main island. The rest are deserted, or ruins, or whatever....
    Last edited by Sigurd; 06-11-2008 at 12:54 PM.

Post Political map of Kalabar

Sphere of influence map, mostly to help me organize my thoughts for the region.

Cities are named, villages and beacons are not. Kalabari clans, other than the prince, often shift locations for better fishing and resources. Lesser clans are often completely mobile.

I think this map under achieves. The final map will probably move the settlements around and scale the dots by relative population. Also, for a political map, It makes no mention of neighbors.

I'd love any constructive criticism I can get.

Sigurd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kalabar-political.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	4287  
    Last edited by Sigurd; 06-11-2008 at 11:41 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast