Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jan/Feb 2013 Lite Challenge Entry: "Missionary Journeys of the Prophet"

Good map...!!!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map

Much better. Are you planning on placing some forests? I miss some green on it

Quote Originally Posted by amberroberts09 View Post
    Good map...!!!
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Beoner View Post
    Much better. Are you planning on placing some forests? I miss some green on it
    I strongly disagree. The elevation shading is off with the darker color, and this is not a geographic map; it's a map of a journey. The land may be brown & green, but not every map is going to be.

Here is the first Journey of the Malassene Prophet, which he takes upon having received divine visions. Leaving his home in Kassea on the rural island of Malassar, he journeys to cosmopolitan Carcho by serving as a sailor upon passing vessels. There he meets a disillusioned elderly priest with whom he has many now famous conversations. After his insights into the faith restore the old man's hope, the prophet sets sail with a small group of confidants for the island of Gershome. There he finds a dilapidated old temple, and sets about restoring it. His sermons to his followers about restoration and strong foundations will later be interpreted to be political commentary. His restoration of the temple at Gershome begins the spread of the Prophet's fame, and garners him his first enemies. The expanding Segian Empire tore down the "heretical" temple when they conquered the island several generations ago. The return of the old faith is something they dread and suppress, as a threat to their authority.
    Leaving the Island of Gershome the Prophet sails west along the Gondwaran coast, at the request of one of his followers who is from that continent. After being driven forcibly by Segian Authorities in Emish and later Amnus, the Prophet becomes disheartened and returns home to Kassia on Malassar. His many followers are dispreased at each of those places by the Segians, and few remain with the Malassene to his destination.
    ### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Journeys-of-the-Prophet v4.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	232.1 KB 
ID:	51724
    Last edited by Tomalak; 02-01-2013 at 08:27 PM.

Nice work! I wonder if you should somehow indicate that Kassia is both origin and final destination? I mean, those not of the faith like myself don't have any clue that the poor guy didn't just travel in eternal circles...

Maybe a sequence of dates along the journey links?

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    Nice work! I wonder if you should somehow indicate that Kassia is both origin and final destination? I mean, those not of the faith like myself don't have any clue that the poor guy didn't just travel in eternal circles...

Maybe a sequence of dates along the journey links?
    I was planning to indicate that through the addition of later journeys (at least 3 or 4 total), as did my reference. I shall put some thought into alternative notation - thank you for bringing it up.

Herein is the second journey, undertaken after a five-year period in which he returned to rural life in Kassia. In a second divine vision the gods have informed him of unrest in Segian cities, and told him to go and bring peace among the people there. Obeying their command to "go at once unto the cities of the north," he sets out in his coastal fishing boat. A few of his followers from the first journey had remained with him, living in his village. Together, they sail north toward Tyri, but are blown off course and land in Myria. There, they learn that the Segian Governor has ordered the prophet arrested on sight and brought to stand trial. The people of Myria remember with reverence the holy man, and promise not to turn him in. Against all expectations, he sails for Emish at the first opportunity and turns himself in.

The Prophet is taken under guard to the provincial capital of Mendi to stand trial. Along the way, he speaks to any who will listen - quite often his guards. He preaches a message of peace and cooperation, imploring the pious among the populace to teach the Segians the ways of the Old Gods, not to rise up against them. When the Governor has heard the whole trial, he throws out the charges, under the grounds that the Prophet has been preaching the opposite of the things he is charged with. The Prophet is released and travels south, spreading his message of tutorship, of coexistence. Reaching Amnus, he again sails home to Kassia. This time there are more than a hundred followers with him, on multiple ships.
    ### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Journeys-of-the-Prophet v5.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	226.9 KB 
ID:	51771

Here is the third journey, undertaken at the behest of the Gods' final vision to the Prophet, calling him to their temple at Gershome. Shortly after the Segian Governor Servus Messala is removed from his position by rivals through controversy over his religious conversion, the Malassine sailed away from Kassia for the last time. Disembarking at Neveh, he sells his ship and the last of his worldly possessions to get the money he will donate to the poor of the war-torn Lauranian continent over the journey. He travels overland, visiting villages and farmsteads, getting involved with the weakest and least of the peoples, and encouraging his followers to do the same. The prophet gains fewer followers on this journey than ever before, as his message is not a popular one. When he reaches Shina and makes kn own his intention to visit the Eastern Continent before traveling to Gershone, the last of his followers abandon him. The most loyal promise to wait at Shina for his return, but the dark tales of the Eastern Continent forbid any traveler there a safe return. After two months the prophet returns in a fine vessel owned by an Eastern convert, bearing many gifts for the gods to Gershome. The Prophet takes up residence at the restored temple, converts the Segian Garisson there, and preaches for more than a decade on the subjects of compassion, responsibility, and piety.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Journeys-of-the-Prophet v6.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	300.5 KB 
ID:	51787

Having removed his predecessor and rival over the controversy of his faith, the current Segian Governor cannot allow the man from Kassia to keep preaching - he is too popular. Though not a particularly religious man, the Governor begins a political vendetta against the adherent's of the Prophet's teachings. His sermons are declared heresy, his messages banned from all places of learning, and those who openly practice his way are persecuted throughout the province. Unrest among the people, especially along the border between Emish & Kemashk, leads to the deployment of ever larger garrisons along the coast. The governor expands his lands extensively, using the popularity of the heretical teacher as an excuse for military action. The Prophet's actions benefit the corrupt governor greatly, by giving him excuse for his excesses, at least to his superiors in Segia. It comes at the cost, however, of unrest in his province that cannot go unanswered forever. Eventually he orders the Prophet seized & returned to Mendi for trial.

This time the trial goes quite differently, and the Prophet is ordered executed by a corrupt court. At his public execution many of his followers attempt to save him, but he pleads with them not to throw their own lives away in such a useless fashion. Many loyal to the Prophet and his gods later recall seeing a group of green-robed watchers numbering a dozen standing in mute tribute to the event. Two things mark these sightings as unusual (beyond the fact that all such accounts agree in striking detail), and they are these; there are always twelve people, faces veiled and forms hidden by the folds of their robes - twelve is the number of the high gods of old; and that no Segian who had not converted noticed any robed figures: only those loyal to the prophet.
    ### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Journeys-of-the-Prophet v7.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	312.6 KB 
ID:	51839

Well, here's the last journey, and all the data I've planned so far is on the map. I suppose I'll want to do some clean-up, though I'm not sure what I have yet left to do.

Here's the final version, all cleaned up. I am toying with the idea of doing part or all of the same area in a different map style in the future. Maybe it will be relevant to a future challenge? We'll see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Journeys-of-the-Prophet v8.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	316.6 KB 
ID:	52072   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Journeys-of-the-Prophet v8.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	318.3 KB 
ID:	52073  
    Last edited by Tomalak; 02-10-2013 at 02:44 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast