Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: The Silver City (a big city around a waterfall)

Looks great. I like the colours of the buildings in this latest version very much.

Guild Adept

Wip

Thank you for all the appreciations and encouragements, and also for staying with this thread despite the very long hiatus.

Adding the mini-maps reminded me how my dissatisfaction with the regional maps was the main motivation in starting this city... but anyway, that is what I have, and therefore...
    It should be finished now, unless there is something major which escaped my attention, I would move it to the finished maps forum shortly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kiryakor-City-Final.jpg 
Views:	465 
Size:	4.64 MB 
ID:	55132

Quote Originally Posted by feanaaro View Post
    I will try to vary the cliff a little more. The scale of the posted image is 1px=2m (I work on 1px=1m), the stairs is roughly 500m long for an elevation of 200m, so it is not too step.
    If I came up on a stairway that was a half-kilometer in length and straight up, I don't think I would go up it (for fear of having a heart attack at the halfway point) or down it (for fear of slipping, falling, and tumbling to a bloody death at the bottom).

In most cities with cliffs and stairs, the stairs follow a series of switchbacks with landings and scenic vistas every once in a while.

You might consider a funicular if you want a straight shot up. (see Quebec City)

(EDIT: I hadn't yet seen your most recent update with the elevators. Nice touch. I would still consider a switchback stairway.)
    Last edited by xotoxi; 10-02-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Guild Adept

Sure, the stairway is very long. However, besides the fact that I did not really know how to depict the switchbacks you describe, the in-world justification is that it is build there in that way because the terrain itself was more favourable in that point. It is also quite wide, which would have been difficult to obtain if it was laterally carved in the cliff, and given the relatively low steepness, it should not be too bad. It should also be consider that every step is meters long. Picture this kind of stairway, only much longer. It can definitely be travelled by horses etc. if one does not feel like walking. Also, it is an utility staircase, I don't think these people would be too interested in scenic vistas when going around their businesses.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567