Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Silver City (a big city around a waterfall)

Guild Adept

Wip The Silver City (a big city around a waterfall)

Since apparently there is no way I am getting what I want with regional mapping, I am turning once again to cities, which for some reason I find more congenial.
    This one is a little different since it has the most peculiar terrain I ever tried until now, and that's why I am starting by sharing the very first steps of the map.
    Do you think that the elevation and the waterfall effect is decent? Or how could it be improved? The map is 6km*6km and the waterfall should be 150-200m high.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kiryakor-City.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	3.43 MB 
ID:	51422
    Last edited by feanaaro; 01-21-2013 at 12:20 AM.

Why don't you just go to google maps and have a top look on the terrain of the niagara falls?

Agreed!!!!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map

Guild Novice

Hi feanaao. Tricky terrain! I think that you're on the right track with this. Waterfalls usually have a large pool at the bottom and then an outflow stream/river from the pool. They also don't usually spread out so much at the cliff face. Can't wait to see more of this map!

Guild Adept

The niagara falls example is interesting indeed. Because the river widens quite a bit just before the waterfall, although it is previously narrowed by the rough terrain as compared with when it exits from lake Ontario. It is true though that it produces a much bigger pool (technically, a whole lake) after the fall, I will work on that. Also, apparently a 500m wide river produces the niagara falls, so mine much bigger one should perhaps produce even bigger falls? Is there a clear ratio between how big the river is and how wide the falls, given a more or less vertical drop of a given height?

edit: meanwhile..

Views:	247 
Size:	3.50 MB 
ID:	51430
    Last edited by feanaaro; 01-21-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Guild Adept

If cliffs and waterfall are difficult, what about stairs of epic proportions?

Views:	312 
Size:	3.52 MB 
ID:	51492

Guild Apprentice

I like the rock in the middle, but since it is at the lip it should create a break in the falls all the way down.
    Last edited by Sathurn; 01-22-2013 at 10:21 PM.

Guild Adept

Fair point. I tried something. Plus added some little hills. Is the geography of the site acceptable by now? Should I move to the city proper?

Views:	393 
Size:	3.57 MB 
ID:	51496

I start to like this one. You're doing a great job with the graphics of the cliff.
    The water seems to be a bit dark for me.
    Water is colourless so a river or lake can have two colors: the colour of the bed beneath (if it's not deep) or the reflection of the sky (if it's deep). Both aren't dark blue.

Concerning the cliff I would say, that you could do it a bit more naturally and more interesting.
    It's too straight for my taste and it doesn't break up or has some minor slopes or terraces.

The idea with the stairs (hm, what else) is good.
    What is the scale of your map?
    Keep in mind that a stair escalating 150 m has to be 200 m long, better 250 m or 280 m.

Guild Adept

I will try to vary the cliff a little more. The scale of the posted image is 1px=2m (I work on 1px=1m), the stairs is roughly 500m long for an elevation of 200m, so it is not too step.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast