Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forest City

Wip Forest City

Hey folks,

haven't been around for a long time, but here's a new project I'm working on for fun. Was in the mood of creating a city encircled by a deep dark forest an hills. This time I opted for a sort of clean but colourful style, but I'll probably tone everything down a bit once I'm done with the houses.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forest_city_1.jpg 
Views:	624 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	54756

Still WIP, but please feel free to comment on it, I appreciate that! Also please excuse the poor resolution, would've been too big otherwise.

Aelyn
    Now that the warm fuzzy part is over we can get back to the ritual dismemberments. Oh wait, it's not Tuesday is it?

Guild Adept

Nice layout and nice style. However, the forest has a flat-plane-floating look which is probably not what you intended. Perhaps shortening the shadow and adding some emboss/bevel would help.

Yes, it looks great except for that distant drop shadow on the forest. It makes it look like it's floating green cloud or something.

Very nice job so far. I agree with the above comments on the forest drop shadow, but overall I think this has a lot of promise.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

The city has a nice natural flow. I give you high-fives.

Nice layout. For me the forest is too close to the buildings. I wouldn't want to live so close to the edge of the forest even if I am poor. Ad hoc I think of a distance of 50-100 metres. Mach bloss weiter

Really nice map. Would really like to see the version with the fixed drop shadow of the forest. It looks great so far.

Thank you all for your comments. Here's an updated version with all the buildings and less shadow. I'm still working on another version of it with more style features, but for now this is what the city looks like:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forest_city_2.jpg 
Views:	577 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	54999

@Katto: Normally, I'd agree with you, but in the case of this city I wanted it to kind of merge into the forest.

Still appreciating comments and ideas!
    Now that the warm fuzzy part is over we can get back to the ritual dismemberments. Oh wait, it's not Tuesday is it?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Nice job. 2 comments though. The stains you used to make color/relief on the forests (clever idea that works very nice) are kinda repetitive, you should maybe try to vary them a bit. Also the buildings miss a bit of shadows on the floor and on roofs but I guess this is something featured on next WIP steps?

really a great style - is it all PS or did you use other software?

just one comment: did you think about some small holes in the forrest whre the rivers move? The forrest should let in some light and show the flow of the rivers from time to time - just tiny eye-catchers, perhaps with showing 1-2 edges of hidden buildings, too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast