Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 07][Location 02] Snapgallows

Blog Entries

Wow thats going back a bit eh ? I did a bit of digging about in my family history after the family said they had a copy of a photo of some great aunt taken in about 1850 - 1860. Now if that doesn't ring any alarm bells then let me just point out that the photograph was invented in 1830's so it was a really old one. Going back before the 1800's is hard work as records seem to be spread about a bit and not so centralized. So doing work at 1200 - 1600 time frame is really impressive.

Our family has a similar tree consolidation problem. A continuous line from about 950 to 1640 and another from 1700 to present. The bit around the Civil War period is there but a bit sketchy. If we can prove the line, we'll have a continuous family history from the Danish invasions to the present day. Don't know yet whether the family was Royalist and dispossessed during the Civil War, or Parliamentarian and dispossessed in the Reformation. On one side of the Civil War, the Kirby family had land in the Leicestershire/Rutland area, on the other they were parish clerks on the same land. All members of the family have been able to read and write from 1700 to present.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

My search is a little easier as it has been going on pretty much continuously since the late 1930's by one relative or another, and I was recently given copies of literally hundreds of documents to put online for the large population of Blogate/Blowgate descendants out there. We are all descended paternally from the same Thomas the emigrant, thanks to the Black Death.....
    My Smith family research had a similiar break in the early 1400's, but we used genetic testing and months of online research to connect Stephen Smith of Bath NH to Samuel Smith of Nine Partners NY/Sharon CT, and from there the back to ancestors in England...Months of work,,,
    Then two weeks ago I was walking around in downtown Rapid City and I saw a little used book store,,,cue the music from Monty Python and the Holy Grail where the knights see the Castle (or a cut out of a castle) on the Hill, choir voices rising,,,,so I went in and the first thing I see in a little locked glass display case, is a mint first edition of " Colonial Ways and Days" which is really a family history of my mother's paternal ancestors,,,popped it open and there was the link, in type, that we had spent alot of time proving..
    Plopped my 8 dollars and 95 cents down on the counter and ran with it. It is even signed by a Smith descendant and dated for the year it was printed,1901,,, a real keeper.
    (it also contained a very old deposit slip for the First National Bank of Gordon Nebraska, completely filled out, used as a bookmark I guess, but no cash...)

The amount of info now available online is amazing, google book search is loaded with old English family information. The oldest actual reference to a confirmed de Blogate ancestor that I have found myself,and which is the oldest yet found, came from google book search, Gilberti de Blogate, Magistiri of the Eye Priory in Suffolk, 1215.recorded in the cartulary...he may have also been Gilberti de Jakele when he was younger......
    Now to find how the family surname was styled before de Blogate, as de Blogate was the name of their feudal farmstead between Eye and Athelington, perhaps in the Cranley/Redlyngfield area,,,,The British Library has been very helpful, (you Brits are exceedingly good record keepers, aren't you), though their online search engine is a horror, no fuzzy search at all, either get it exactly right or no hits. A real pain with so many variations of spelling in the documents.

This week I am working on finding a good template for the FHCO pdf, something with a D and D that will work in Open Office, as my just plain template that I used looks like pig poo, according to Ol' Horsehair, teach them to be critical and they will, but he is right.

SeerBlue
    SeerBlue is me, but more importantly the Four Happy Carpet Orcs +2 (FHCO +2) are Lizzy (BumbleMouse, 16), Race (Raith Eliathy, 11), Roy (Ol' Horsehair, 9), and Lena Marie (Lemur, 6) Kimi (Whurm,2), and Sachiko (MoMo,1)
    All creative inspiration is theirs, from characters to maps to tells, I only fill in the details.

A few things I have learned form my genealogical research that transitions well into world building is how close together villages where, how focused on the early church villages were, and how dependent upon the land and the sea the inhabitants lived... and how the whims of the Monarch affected everyone..
    Amazing stuff, the history of England, to me it isn't the history of the "Rich and Famous" but of the average moelman or villien, here is your chunk of land, you will work it for life, as will your descendants, unless some one else invades/becomes King or Queen/Duke/Earl/Countess, and changes the rules.
    Imagine not being able to move unless permission was granted, or the Black Death swung through and created such turmoil that no one noticed you had traveled on without documents...." I'm not dead yet" "Yes, you are" thunk.
    Wonderul terms in the old documents, as well, "hides of land", moelman, bailliwick, Magisitri, Comes and Cometissa, Feet of Fines, Moothalle, advowson ,,fertile ground for mining.

SeerBlue
    SeerBlue is me, but more importantly the Four Happy Carpet Orcs +2 (FHCO +2) are Lizzy (BumbleMouse, 16), Race (Raith Eliathy, 11), Roy (Ol' Horsehair, 9), and Lena Marie (Lemur, 6) Kimi (Whurm,2), and Sachiko (MoMo,1)
    All creative inspiration is theirs, from characters to maps to tells, I only fill in the details.

Blog Entries

Hi Seer, If your still listening, do you think that the ortho view of Snap in post #80 is the final or best you have ortho view for that town. I'll add it to my Thrub map if it is. I dont think you ever marked it on the high res tile exactly where it sat or where the body of Alfred Kier was on it too.

Just thinking it should be recorded for future use.

Hey RR, been gone awhile ain't I, right now I am computerless, though I have bought a new one for the kids for christmas, have it all loaded with the apps they need, and I am just waiting to push it under the tree. They got a dual core computer, printer, video camera, digital camera, a wacom is on its way, and a desk to put it on,,,,plus tons of toys.
    I have all our work on disk, here somewhere, and will look through to see if I can find the later images. Then I will pop out and see if I can upload it.
    In January I am going to splurge for a new system, for myself, as all my paychecks the last 3 months have gone to christmas exuberance,,,,5 kids and over 30 nieces and nephews, and even great nieces and nephews ( and I am only in my 40's) really eats up the cash.
    Its well below zero Fahrenheit today, so I may have time to find it today, I don't go out when the wind is whipping on cold days, I don't want to be a GRISLY statistic.
    SeerBlue

Blog Entries

Cool ! I mean wow Cold Coldest I ever remember was -22 degC and that was considered freak weather.

I'll update the Snapgallows area with a city map when you can do one. I heard from Monks that Osh will be interested in doing some more with MeDem too so maybe we can all get back to that and push it to at least some level of completion - not that its ever complete. Maybe the TG2 dev thrust is over and its got a little more quiet.

Seer, get in touch as soon as you can pal. Sounds like you're having a great Christmas...ENJOY!!

monky magic

hey Monks, I will pm you here or at me-dem, I had to ditch my gmail account as the vast supply of questionable offers for quick money and increased virility where filling in quicker than I could shovel them out....Now if one of them cagey mooks would combine quick money and increased virility into one got to have product,,,,they might just succeed.

SeerBlue

well the FHCO have been experimenting with Greenworks xfrog, a tree/plant modelling app that has a rep as being hard to come to grips with,,,,,well we read through the docs and had a go for a bit, and then they kept at it until their demo expired ( I hear tiny voices whispering "buy it for us" ) .
    I thought I would post a few examples of their work, from the early alien creations to some way cool ones, like the waekuhl tree.
    They may even end up in Snapgallows, once I get my own computer, and some time when I am NOT working,,,retirement was sooooo nice...

so this is fan coral, ther very first creation, its rendered in Terragen with a default beach/ water sand terrain we made, then silloh, for silhouette, which I couldn't spell with out a spell checker, then loedhan thicket, supposed to be razor sharp, keeps the beasties out.

more to follow

SeerBlue and the FHCO
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fancoral.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	274.1 KB 
ID:	9394   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	silloh1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	9395   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loedahnthicketbig.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	326.5 KB 
ID:	9396  

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast