Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dordavia II

Guild Member Facebook Connected

Default Dordavia II

A new map of the planet Dordavia. I used Fractal Terrains 3, PowerPoint 2007, and Photoshop 6.0. Please offer any criticism you can think of. Thank you.

http://images.wikia.com/conworld/ima...ewdordavia.jpg

Guild Member Facebook Connected Thordred's Avatar

You have a few problems with this map.

First of all, it's hard to read your text. Please keep in mind that some colors are not good to mix, it hurts the eye. Make sure to use some sort of blending option so it's readable.
    What I could read I found disturbing. You have several names from popular games in your map, this is not ideal. If I were you I would come up with new, unique, names for it.
    Try to find a bump-map for both your land and sea, that was it will look less flat.
    Try to blend your colors. Right now it very stiff.

I do like the shape of the continent. With enough effort this could turn out well for you.

Thank you for your help. I got similar feedback from Max. I dulled down the colors a bit and got rid of the red font, so hopefully now it's a little more readable. I haven't changed much else though. At some point I'll probably start over with a bump-map, this is just a basic outline. I haven't quite figured out how to blur the edges though. Could you help me on that?

As for the names, which ones have already been used before? I wasn't aware of this. Was it Stoneford? Wayport? If you don't mind, please list all the names that I definitely need to change.

Once I make those changes, I'll put up the next map.

Thank you.
    Will

Guild Journeyer

Hi,

For my part, it is still difficult to read names of the mountains. Maybe you could make them less dense, so you will be able to place their names without overlaying them ?

You could also try a bit diversity in the mountain shapes, with smaller ones at the outskirts of mountain ranges ?

I know it's easier to say than to do, but here's my opinion.

Good work anyway !

Guild Member Facebook Connected Thordred's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Brawner View Post
    As for the names, which ones have already been used before? I wasn't aware of this. Was it Stoneford? Wayport? If you don't mind, please list all the names that I definitely need to change.
    Queensdale - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

Redcliffe Village - Dragon Age Wiki (Close enough)

The others seem to be fine

Thank you so much you guys. I will change the names soon.
    "Queensdale" has now become "Jaroqia"
    and "Redcliff" has now become "Ektamon"
    and "Stoneford" is now "Myaron"

I searched those names, and I don't see any significant resemblances to previously used names.
    But let me know if these seem wrong.

I might end up changing a lot more names to get some sort of linguistic consistency within each nation.

Except for "Faronsbane." That's the only one I know I'm keeping. It's just too awesome to get rid of.

Will

Alright. Here is Dordavia 2.1.
    http://http://images.wikia.com/conworld/images/a/a8/Newdordavia2.jpg

It's not a whole lot different, but I've made some important changes that you all suggested.
    - Colors are less flashy.
    - Names are more original.
    - Trees are smaller.
    - Oceans are smoother.
    - Mountains vary in size.
    - All text is readable (I hope).

Thanks again for helping me out. I intend to keep working on this map for a long time, so please let me know what needs fixing.

Will

Guild Journeyer

I think colours are really better this way !

For the changes you have to make, I would suggest you to use layers with Photoshop : much easier when you only have to change or re-make ONE thing on the map, instead of re-make it on the whole... I think about your mountains that your shrunk ; maybe it would be more beautiful if you remake them completely instead of pasting some shrunk mountains onto big ones...

I don't know if I'm clear

Quote Originally Posted by Mornagest View Post
    I think colours are really better this way !

For the changes you have to make, I would suggest you to use layers with Photoshop : much easier when you only have to change or re-make ONE thing on the map, instead of re-make it on the whole... I think about your mountains that your shrunk ; maybe it would be more beautiful if you remake them completely instead of pasting some shrunk mountains onto big ones...

I don't know if I'm clear
    I totally agree with you...!!!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map

Thank you all for reviewing. I really appreciate it. I'll start working on the next version soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast