Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I make a concentric coastline effect?

You could:
    - Create a mask for the layer with the stroke lines (open the Masks panel and click the left square button in the upper right corner; hovering will show the text: Add a pixel mask).

- Fill the mask with a pattern (keypad: Shift+F5 to bring up the fill panel). If you don't have any decent patterns already loaded then append the Artist Surfaces set.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stressing Coastal Lines - Pattern-Fill panel.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	53581

- Go back to the Masks panel and click on Mask Edge to refine the settings. Adjust them to your liking.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stressing Coastal Lines with a Pattern-Filled Mask.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	263.6 KB 
ID:	53580

- You can duplicate the layer to make it darker (right-click on the layer in the Layers panel, not on the image previews, and select Duplicate Layer...
    - If it's too crisp for your liking then you can either blur the layer or its mask or adjust the mask settings to suit (smooth/feather).
    - If you only want to grunge up a specific area of the layer, you can either use a grungy brush on the blank mask (first step: create a mask, second step: grungy brush with black paint on the mask in the area you want to stress) or you could brush with white paint on the pattern-filled mask in the areas which you don't want grungy (set your history point in the History panel before you start painting so you can use the history brush tool to UN-erase if need be).

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Chashio; 04-12-2013 at 01:04 PM.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Sorry I didn't get back to you Chashio. Just wanted to say this worked great. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpes View Post
    Sorry I didn't get back to you Chashio. Just wanted to say this worked great. Thanks!
    I'm glad
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12