Thread: Kingdom-maker

Default Kingdom-maker

It's been a while since I've had the chance to flex my creative cartography muscles and share ideas with the guild, but I've been working on a project I think might be interesting for some of you.

Last year I began running the Kingmaker Pathfinder Adventure Path. But rather than use the world setting of Golarion I decided instead to incorporate and modify the campaign to exist within a game world I created myself a while back for my players. I initially wanted to find a region within my world that would suit the plot of the adventure path, but ended up modifying that a bit as well, but I am posting here to talk mainly about the cartography work I've been doing. If you would like to follow the campaign, I have it on Obsidian Portal HERE.

Now to the maps.

First off, the Region. I created this map a few years ago. It is pretty simple, and I still like it, but I'd like to think I've gotten a bit better since.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map - Kor.jpg 
Views:	615 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	51497

In my previous campaign I established an enchanted forest called the Feralwood along the western coast. It was a good match for the Stolen Lands of the Kingmaker adventure path, so I decided to give that area a facelift.

Name:	Kingmaker-Campaign-Map.jpg 
Views:	2237 
Size:	944.3 KB 
ID:	51498

I also needed to designate the boundaries of the four chartered regions in the area, and followed some natural landmarks to to aid me in doing so.

Name:	Kingmaker-Campaign-Map-Charters.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	932.5 KB 
ID:	51499

I determined that the region of The Greenbelt would be best for the players to claim as their charter, and set to work creating a blowup, complete with a hexmap overlay for kingdom exploration and development.

Name:	Kingmaker-01-Greenbelt-Day1.jpg 
Views:	1570 
Size:	663.9 KB 
ID:	51500

The campaign is about 7 months old now, and about 10 months have passed in-game, leaving the current map looking like the following.

Name:	Greenbelt-Exploration-2013-01-01.jpg 
Views:	886 
Size:	684.6 KB 
ID:	51501
    Last edited by MysticMagellan; 01-23-2013 at 02:01 AM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

that's pretty cool. what have the players discovered so far?

That's really good and awesome...!!!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    that's pretty cool. what have the players discovered so far?
    I'd be kinda curious also. Do you have any maps that are closer in to where they are currently exploring?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I actually really like the first map you posted. What's the font you used there?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I actually really like the first map you posted. What's the font you used there?
    I will try to find out, but it is an old file, and I'm not sure my current computer has them, but I'm pretty sure it is a mix of a couple different fonts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_potato_head View Post
    I'd be kinda curious also. Do you have any maps that are closer in to where they are currently exploring?
    I have also posted a WIP map of the capital city they are building in the city thread.

I plan to create city maps for other cities they build or annex.

I also am in the process of creating a hand drawn map of the northern area of the Greenbelt, shown to them by another group of explorers they encounter. I will scan that in and post it here as well.