Thread: Kingdom-maker Knights Keep

Default Kingdom-maker Knights Keep

I am currently working on a modified Kingmaker adventure path campaign, and have already posted in the Regional/World Mapping section for maps I have created that fall into that category. I have also begun working on a city map for the campaign, and would like to share that as well.

In the campaign, the players have recently founded their capital, naming it Knight's Keep. Anyone familiar with the adventure path knows that city-building is also a part of the game, and so I've begun work on a city map for the capital. Incorporating structures they decide to build, I've decided to ignore the grid layout the adventure path provides, going instead with a more organic growth in a true environment. This map displays the Lord's Keep on the hill for which the place is named, and the start of a village and dock area along the shores of the lake below. I plan to add some farmland to the north and northwest, plus a cluster of tents to the west representing the people arriving in the area, but not yet settled into housing. I will post more maps as the city develops.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Knights-Keep-60.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	51503

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Well, I like where this is going. The one problem I have, and I am pretty sure that it is a holdout from doing layout, is that white on the road. I think that all the other colours work well together.

Nice job.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

The white part of the road was intentional. It indicates the actual road, which I envisioned as a sort of paved gravel (a little advanced for the time period, but there is a reason for it). The rest of the roads are cleared and pressed dirt. Do you think the main road is simply too white? I'd like to keep separation between them, and am open to suggestions, but I think it will read better once I have placed the tent and farming areas.

I think that the white is still too white. Even marble chips have trouble staying that clean. I suspect that making the gravel a little lighter than the natural dirt will go a long way. Perhaps a white specked texture over a base that is between the current white and the natural earth.

A quick check of google images show gravel roads to be more of a medium grey for the most part.
    A new crushed shell road would be that white, just not too durable.

Good luck.
    So far it is looking good.

While it may look better a tiny bit darker I don't mind the road too much - it makes it nice and clear. The part that looks a bit odd to me is where it goes up the hill. I think it needs a bit of shading on the right side because the road looks flat compared to the hill around it.

I have pretty much completed the first map of Knights Keep. I made some major revisions when I realized that at the point in the campaign where this map will be revealed to the players it is the heart of winter, and so I covered the land with snow. As suggested I also darkened the road a little and added a little shading in spots. The hill upon which the keep sits becomes a little hard to read, and I might do some more work there, and the camp in the field to the west of the keep might not read as well as I'd hoped, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with it.

I plan on jumping back to the previous version when spring or summer arrives for the next major update.

Name:	Knights Keep-Winter 26 DE.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	51613
    Last edited by MysticMagellan; 01-26-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I think this looks great! A point about snow....It REALLY hides contours well so do not look to add too much to the "lay of the land" atm. Save that for the Spring Thaw reveal

Repping
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Spring has come to Knight's Keep. The town has grown a little, with new housing, developed farmland, and weapon smith and mill structures added.

Comments and critiques welcome.

Name:	Knights Keep-Spring 26 DE.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	3.15 MB 
ID:	58508

Another update. Knight's Keep in Autumn. A cathedral, shrine, barracks, and more housing has been added.

Name:	Knights-Keep-03-Fall-26-DE.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	70633