Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: random world

Another interesting shape!
    Do you have this one without the hexes and hex-fillings?

Oh and how do you get such shapes with the world generator? When i try, i always get super boring and/or highly unrealistic shapes and distributions. Any tips?
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Another interesting shape!
    Do you have this one without the hexes and hex-fillings?
    in this case, i do...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5104eed1c0a80165-map.gif 
Views:	1996 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	51637

Oh and how do you get such shapes with the world generator? When i try, i always get super boring and/or highly unrealistic shapes and distributions. Any tips?
    set the number of iterations as high as it'll allow, and try different random seeds.
    >>< drow ><<

Default another day, another world

using truetype for labels now, and with a much better algorithm for the drop-radiance. this is still living on my dev server at the moment, i'll push it live as soon as i've completely verified that the install of GD there supports it.

Name:	5115fb32c0a80168.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	4.02 MB 
ID:	52013
    >>< drow ><<

Blog Entries

A hex grid like that really doesn't make sense in that projection as linear scale is highly distorted, you probably want something like Gnomonic Icosahedral instead.

normally, i'd agree with you.
    >>< drow ><<

a different style... i think i need better glyphs for this one, and maybe a little coordinate wibbling so its not so obviously still on a hex grid.

Name:	511b5194c0a80168.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	52171
    >>< drow ><<

I think this is a much better style than the overlay over the world-gen maps. I like it!
    Something that bugs me a bit: This world needs more mountain-ranges.

As a sidenote: you could do a version with hex-grid on top of what you have here (just for the old-school feel )
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    As a sidenote: you could do a version with hex-grid on top of what you have here (just for the old-school feel )
    of course. it looks like i'll need two antique styles, one with normal hex grid and glyphs, and one with hand-drawn glyphs.

Name:	511badf7c0a80168.jpg 
Views:	683 
Size:	3.54 MB 
ID:	52195
    >>< drow ><<

I am a big fan of your fractal world generator. I have been wasting time for years using your iteration of the code, and before that, Olsson's.

The Fantasy World Generator is inspired, but using a rectangular projection with a hex grid produces scaling issues in polar latitudes.

Have you considered using the Traveller style world map method of an Icosahedral map with the hex grid imposed to eliminate polar scaling issues in the Fantasy Map Generator? I know the Icosahedral projection is available for the fractal world generator, so I imagine it's simply a matter of including the option.

Other notions I have had:
    An option to toggle the hex grid
    An option to toggle terrain icons
    An option to in/exclude rivers
    A gradient value for civilization icons, where the value is the number of cities to include

Also, on a side note, do you have any tips for producing maps with the generator that have more distinct mountain ranges, as opposed to mountain 'blobs'?

Quote Originally Posted by Leurnid View Post
    Have you considered using the Traveller style world map method of an Icosahedral map with the hex grid imposed to eliminate polar scaling issues in the Fantasy Map Generator? I know the Icosahedral projection is available for the fractal world generator, so I imagine it's simply a matter of including the option.
    i've honestly been a little hesitant, because of the association of icosahedral maps with traveller and scifi games. still, you're not the first person to raise the point, and its on my development list.

its not entirely trivial, which is to say; the fractal world generator can generate an icosahedral projection easily enough, but the routines for placing rivers, forests, etc. run afterward and aren't capable of working on an interrupted map. so i've been working on getting everything working on a square projection first, before working out transforming the final map. maybe by next week.

Other notions I have had:
    An option to toggle the hex grid
    An option to toggle terrain icons
    An option to in/exclude rivers
    A gradient value for civilization icons, where the value is the number of cities to include
    all good thoughts.

Also, on a side note, do you have any tips for producing maps with the generator that have more distinct mountain ranges, as opposed to mountain 'blobs'?
    not really, it's a feature of the faulting algorithm. i've tinkered with some ideas, but haven't come upon anything consistently useful yet.
    >>< drow ><<

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast