Thread: Rasia, lakeside city

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Wip Rasia, lakeside city

Not been on here in ages but thought I'd post this I've been working on - the city of Rasia (RAR-zee-uh), an important cultural and industrial city in my fictional world. It's a not-quite steampunk early industrial-era city which has water-powered funiculars and gas lighting. In particular there's a main funicular that runs from The Academy in a valley above the city to a station in the centre of town. I did this in Photoshop but am considering migrating to Illustrator for better line effects, tho Photoshop has better graphical effects. Ho hum.

Geographically it's on the south shore of a very large lake, with a busy pier, port and markets. It's built on a series of hills which rise quickly to the south. I toyed with various effects to suggest hills and higher ground - I didn't fancy contour lines and really didn't want to use the tired old Tolkienesque mountain stamps, so interested to see what you make of this kinda shaded effect. Stylistically I'm following the flesh-toned theme of my other city maps (eg Vahltor), but with a slightly more modern feel.

Note there's some labels for streets and districts but it's far from finished - the east side of Pier Street is wealthier residential, the west side commercial and industrial. I'm not quite sure what more flourishes or tweaks I can make to fancy it up, any suggestions/encouragement welcome!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rasia.png 
Views:	135 
Size:	618.4 KB 
ID:	83644
    Last edited by Robulous; 05-14-2016 at 12:38 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Welcome back A few comments to try being constructive: The whole thing seems too pale imho, you want maybe add more contrasts that we can easily see each features of the map. If it's full resolution, some isssues woth labels cause we can't really see the streets names. The waterlines don't fit the other elements (and to be very honest, it's quite bad - maybe just try to do something on it). I don't really see the steampunk touch for now but maybe this will come later?
    btw overall the map is clean and well done

Wip Wip 2

Ok so the Great Max is right, my first attempt at this map was
    Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    quite bad
    Lol. Hopefully my skills have improved a little since 2013. So here's a rather belated draft 2! It's still far from finished, I've struggled to show enough detail while also including the general lie of the land. I'm thinking of having inset boxes to show the streets in the centre of town, plus the plan of the Academy itself.

The circular patterns were meant to be from earlier iron-age style hill forts and farms (eg Iron Hill), now just parks and hilltops. I'll have to look for inspiration on how to suggest ruins or something within the circles.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rasia-frameD2.png 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	83642

What's with you resurrecting all these old city maps?

I can't see the old map because the attachment isn't working, but I like what you've got here.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    What's with you resurrecting all these old city maps?
    Just going through my old posts and seeing what I hadn't finished! This is an important one for my fantasy world but I never finished it satisfactorily.

Love the border and background.

That border is fantastic and the newer version is sooo much nicer than the original!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Journeyer

Great boost, it's always great to go back to your old work and show how much you have improved. Nice Robu.