Thread: The City (Thief 1-2 video game map)

Default The City (Thief 1-2 video game map)

So, that would be my third map and I wasn't sure in which section should I post it. Technically it's WIP, but after spending -literally- hundreds of hours to draw it (and also to research proper locations and stuff), I am kind of fed up for now. I would call it 75% done, but have zero motivation to work on it in the near future.

It is based on the Thief video games (strictly only the first two, some fluff -locations names, etc- is taken from Deadly Shadows), I would call it semi-canon. Comments and criticism is welcome, I was struggling with two particular things. First and foremost labeling, I had (and still have) no idea how to properly do it. I was considering to draw arrows and use legends (for the locations, listed on the right side), but it looked... meh. If I actually place the label on the city itself with a painted background (for the label itself) then I would cover way too much from the buildings. That version looked bad as well.

My second grief is water based structures, like bridges, piers, etc. I'm kind of missing them, but didn't really find a proper way to draw them. All of my attempts looked rather uninspiring and unfit to the art style.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003_thecity_notsofinal_lowres.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	83342

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Very impressive! That amount of work is worth some rep A common way to label very crowded maps, like cities, is with numbers, and a list somewhere unobscuring.

I second everything Lingon said.

To me it seems like a map that would be in a video game. Good job!

That is a lot of buildings... have some rep! I really like the style of it.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Looks great. My mind boggles at the amount of detail in all those little buildings! You've done a fantastic job and I hope you can finish it completely... though I completely understand your need to step away for a while.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks for the feedback! And sorry for my lagging answers, I have a traveling job, so sometimes I disappear.

A common way to label very crowded maps, like cities, is with numbers, and a list somewhere unobscuring.
    Yes, I know that / I did my homework to research this. However, the color Rosewood looks really weird on the city (I attached a sample), so I should either switch to a different color or...? I have no idea, that's where I'm particularly stuck Maybe I will play with different shades to see if it looks better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	titling.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	508.5 KB 
ID:	83474

@Josiah: Thanks!

Looks great. My mind boggles at the amount of detail in all those little buildings!
    Yes, and I had to redraw them many times, since one or two districts always seemed to not fit properly into the city.
    Last edited by Barny; 05-08-2016 at 03:05 PM.

Wow this is fantastic. Your colour palate looks really great I think. I don't remember the game maps being all that great.

I will agree with you, in that the first thing I noticed missing, was the docks, piers and bridges

Guild Journeyer

Well done map. I played the newest Thief game as well, this map is cooler than the one in-game. ^^