Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thror's Map (Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit)

Map Thror's Map (Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit)

First of all, I'd like to say HI! to everyone, since this is my first post on this forum.
    Now, I made this map a while ago, because I wanted to have some fairly accurate replica from the movie hanging on my wall (this is actually like third or fourth version of the map) and after series of trials and errors I made something like this. I tried to find a carpenter who would be willing to sacrifice some time for me and make me a wooden frame like we've seen in the movie, I was even willing to pay quite a lot of money, but everybody turned me down. I said to myself "OK, bite me, all of you. I can make it myself" and after a week or so it was finally finished and my map had a place to chill out. It was really great experience for me, I certainly learned a lot of things during the process and as a fan of handcrafted things I recommend to you to try and make something like that. I'd like to hear your opinion on the whole project and what I should improve in the future ones.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040446.JPG 
Views:	7284 
Size:	3.96 MB 
ID:	33694

Thanks a lot!
    Here's the rest of the photos: http://jared.rajce.idnes.cz/Thror_s_Map/
    And by the way, I'm not from english speaking country, so I apologize for my (sometimes?) bad english.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow!! great job. And Welcome to the Guild
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

very nicely done - welcome to the guild, I'm sure you'll enjoy it here
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild, and have some rep for a really cool map, too!

That's really quite remarkable! Going the whole distance with the carpentry shows true dedication - I'm afraid I'd model all that in a 3D program myself! Have some rep!
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Now that's some introduction... In your case it was luck everyone turned you down, otherwise, you'd never had the satisfaction of doing all this yourself! It's awesome, I really hope to see more from you, perhaps a little carpentry tutorial?

Have some rep!

That's just incredible. I looked at your photos and saw the level of detail...superb. I would really like to get off the computer and start using real stuff to make maps - and you can hang the end result on the wall!!
    A very warm welcome to the guild, and I hope to see more of your (non computer made) maps soon!

What a craftsman you are!

Blog Entries

First of all - Ajoy !

Love the map and pictures. Its very accurate and I like the scratches on it and worn / distressed look of it. I make my own frames too and I find it very hard to get the corners (miters) to join up with no gaps. Anyway, nice work and thanks for sharing.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nicely done...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Fantastic! I'm glad you shared this with us. It looks like it's one of the props in fact. Welcome to the guild as well and stand by for rep.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast