Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dispatches from a Cartographer - Larithas visits the .....

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Damn that sucks. Keep motivation and keep up the good job!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Ouch. I know that pain all too well. If it's any consolation, the times that's happened to me and I've worked up the motivation to keep working, I've usually liked take two better.
    so true! same with my writing.

persevere and try and at least finish it! im sure itll work out fine in the end

Not good to hear THW but ironic in that my archipelago post posed the question of how to keep motivated, in my case only breaking lead, in your case poof the majik computer blaster . I think in your case step back from it for a day or two, talk to us here to vent the frustrations. Lord knows we need to vent every once in awhile over our stuff! I did have a motivation issue in my trading village, I had the placement issue of the manor, not really to my liking. This was a bummer at first but then I thought, hell I'm not letting this whip me, so I jumped right back on the horse to bulldoze my way to where I was. I'm not suggesting you do that, just an example of cartography response LOL. You look like you have a pretty good handle on PS to me, but you might post about your work flow and maybe some of the other PS folks can offer suggestions on how to recover with a little less time and effort.

In any case we'll all be patient and looking for the good stuff you always post up.

Well, I think I've managed to catch up with where I was last week. What really cheesed me off is that, the day after the last post, I did get back to work, I redid some of the mountains, and, as Diamond predicted, take two was looking (much) better than the first. Then that layer got accidentally deleted. My fault - I thought I deleted a different layer, but that understandably vexed me considerably.

I'll try writing about my workflow, but I'm not much of a one for describing my methods. Oh well, here goes: The way I place mountains into photoshop is:
    - create a new layer and turn it into a smart object (that's so I can keep down the file size)
    - select to edit the smart object
    - on that layer, place one mountain
    - create another layer, and add another mountain
    - repeat until all mountains are placed
    - go back and delete the areas where mountains overlap ONE AT A TIME
    - colour is added on a layer at the bottom, usually clipped to a 'base' layer (originally white, which is what Diamond pointed out) but now I use the parchment background itself

This method takes ages, has to be done not only for mountains but also for hills, forests, etc, and explains how a mostly simple mistake turned into the disaster that it did. I might spend up to 15 minutes on one mountain. I've tried Midgardsormr's (?) method of using the clone stamp (and I started a thread asking about it) but I don't think it lets me get the colour effects I want, so I'm still stuck on having each mountain on a separate layer. Which has the additional problem of taking up colossal amounts of space on my computer, so sometimes, after putting in all that work, I get the message "can't execute the action [eg saving the file] because the scratch disk is full".

Anyway, there's my workflow, as well as a fair portion of vented frustration. I think this map is mostly back on track (although I realise I need to draw more volcanoes - I have only the one icon for them - and I'm trying to figure out how to do coastal cliffs). I'm undecided about the colouring of the hills this time - less saturated/less green, but is that a good thing? I think it is safe to say this map will proceed (short of another disaster), but, as usual, at a snail's pace.

THW

Vellum, I remember your town village and the problem you had at that time; doesn't seem to have slowed you down, though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Regional 18-5 unnamed.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	3.64 MB 
ID:	51794  

Guild Member Facebook Connected Thordred's Avatar

I think the latest versions looks worlds better then the first versions.

I hope you find motivation to continue with this map, it has so much potential! I look forward to seeing how you tackle the forests

I want more! :p Keep up the good job! THW I'm doing the same way for my mountains and hills Takes time but I think it's the safer way to do it good and I kinda like it. I just tried the clone tool on some forests on my current WIP. Works pretty well but takes a long time aswell.
    *Edit*
    - About the mountains, I used to do the same way as yours but after the whole mountain range is ok, I merged all layers.
    - About the hills, it will depend of the others colors used on the map but maybe a light brown/green?
    * 2nd edit* - tired -_-
    - About the cliffs, a simple way to do it is: draw the top line of the cliff. Hand draw some vertical lines/hatches or whatever you want that you need to figure the cliff, turn them into brushes, then apply brushes between the top line and the coast, erase those lines that go over the top line and over the coast. Easy, fast and convincing.
    Last edited by - Max -; 02-04-2013 at 11:35 AM.

I don't believe you Max. If you used the same methods as I'm doing you wouldn't be able to make such great maps as quickly as you do.

My original plan with this map was to do forests with small tree symbols (I've drawn dozens of them, as well as different forests etc.) but I did a quick sample (yet to be revealed) using a different technique, so we'll see how that goes. It can definitely wait until the mountains and hills are finished.

About the cliffs, I've drawn cliffs like you suggested, Max, but because I want them for the coasts, the upper rim of the cliff has to match the shape of the coast. Do you have any suggestions for that?

THW

Really this is how I'm doing. My workflow: hand drawing moutains set, scanning the whole thing, making brushes, apllying one brush on one layer, repeat, repeat etc. doing it from bottom to top usually. but it depends. Then erasing all overlapping parts, then when I'm done and satisfied with it, merging all mountains into only one layer... But I don't sleep much :p
    About the cliffs, just draw it with mouse (or tablet if you have) to follow the shape of your coastlines. On Green Havens, I did it this way with mouse. If I remember correctly, 2px round brush and a very light blurr on it.

Alright, here's a quick cliff I just made to show you, with the 3 steps. Really easy, as you can see. Hope it will help...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cliff minitut.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	997.5 KB 
ID:	51827

Thanks for that Max, I'll definitely try out that cliff method. And I must say, I believe you about the mountains, but, sleep or no sleep, you must be a really fast worker.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast