Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dispatches from a Cartographer - Larithas visits the .....

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

No problem, that cliff method is really easy and you can do them fast. I'll hope see more of your map soon.
    And yea , like I explained to Arsheesh if I remember good, I like progressing fast when I start a map. If it's one of my own or a commission that inspired me, I can work pretty fast. Well I guess that the thing that takes the most time is drawing the stuff (especially moutains) but I like it, it's relaxing and I do it as soon as I have some spare minutes. Coloring map also takes me some time... Well stop babbling, back to Kerngard!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHoarseWhisperer View Post
    Thanks for that Max, I'll definitely try out that cliff method. And I must say, I believe you about the mountains, but, sleep or no sleep, you must be a really fast worker.
    I really think Max is a robot the way he cranks stuff out LOL!! Good job kickin this thing in the butt and continuing to get it where you want it to be and learn new stuff / techniques, after all Larithas didn't cross the continent in a day

I doubt there are many robots that could keep up with our friend Max.

Well, another update. Not too many changes since last time- this has to be one of the slowest maps to be created in the history of the universe. I've started to think the slow pace is all about building suspense, so there's a silver lining.

I've put two versions of the map so far - one with the brown background, and the other with that dreaded parchment background returned.

I've done some experiments with cliffs, and have to say that Max's method does look best. I tried doing realistic hand-drawn cliffs, but they lost too much resolution when shrunk (pity - they were good drawings, if I say so myself). I might have to adapt Max's cliffs a bit, as I'm not completely convinced they suit the sketchy mountains I drew.

In these two images, I'm keen to get people's opinions about the forests and the farmland. The landmass in the south has two examples of each, and I'm uncertain which I like more. The farmland sample on the right uses a hand-made pattern (which can be flipped and rotated to double the variation), the one on the left uses hand-drawn brushes.

With the forests, I really want to get the impression of trees climbing up the slopes of the mountains. I was inspired by some sketches by someone on the forum, might have been Chashio.

Let me know what you think, and I'll try to post another update soon - 2014, perhaps?

THW.

PS: When this is finally done, I might try posting my brushes and patterns in the Mapping Elements section. Would people be interested in that?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Regional 18-6A unnamed.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	3.91 MB 
ID:	51960   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Regional 18-6B unnamed.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	3.82 MB 
ID:	51961  

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

My initial impression is that I like the right-side farmland better. The linework seems to work better with what you've already got and really lets those hills show through nicely. Trees look good, but as forests you might want to make them a little denser and see how it works.

I concur with it. The right-side patterns looks better. And I like the hills and those lovely lil' trees aswell. I'm still looking forward to see how you gonna work on your forests though

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

I like the pattern on the right side. So far this map develops nicely.

People might be forgiven for thinking I've abandoned this map. That isn't the case, but this might be a good time to announce my almost-complete temporary-withdrawal from the Cartographers Guild. I have just entered the final phase of university, and must begin working on a thesis (about maps, as it happens). I only say all this to explain why this map is going to change from a snail's pace to a glacier's, and probably won't be updated very often.

Because of that I wanted to include in this message the latest update. The other reason this update has been so late is because I wanted it to be significantly different from last time, to give the sense that real progress has been made.

It mightn't be as different as I'd hoped, but there are still a number of changes - the mountains are finished, and most of the hills, also. I have revised my approach to forests, including a new set of hand-drawn forest patterns (I know you said you liked the previous ones Max, but they just weren't working for me). Following the comments from previously, I will stick with the farmland design shown, although I haven't added any more since last time. The volcano smoke has also changed slightly.

Oh yeah, the grassland pattern is also a new hand-drawn pattern (I'm undecided about the bright green behind it, though).

Lastly, I'm thinking about putting a very subtle blue-green tinge on the big northern forest, to make it look colder and more like pine forests.

I'll probably continue taking sneaky visits to the CG when I should be getting on with other things (hence 'almost-complete'), so comments, as always, are strongly encouraged.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Regional 18-7 unnamed.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	3.77 MB 
ID:	52455  

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

that's looking nice - the mountains are great and the trees fit in too,though the green seems to have been applied a bit too liberally, particularly in the sparse trees south of the northern-most mountains. though still, looking good.

and good luck with the thesis

I still don't like those cities, but the woods and mountains are nice. I think this map is on a good way.

Good luck with your thesis! Those forests are looking interesting, probably hard to color them properly but I like the touch it gives to the map. Keep up this good job

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234