Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gaudy style - Continent of Sinilor

I'm not sure if the border suits this map but I do like the design. I think it would work better for a map had a less gaudy and overall red-yellow colour scheme.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    I agree. The border (especially tree or root thing idk and the header title) doesn't really match. I would gibe a try at more stylized one. Mayne something in a similar syle of compass?
    Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    I'm not sure if the border suits this map but I do like the design. I think it would work better for a map had a less gaudy and overall red-yellow colour scheme.
    This matches my own concern about the border. I will go for another style, maybe some ornaments.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

My humble advice would be to don't make a too shopisticated border in order that ornaments keep this kind of ancient/primary feel the map gives ( hmm sorry sometimes hard to explain things in english)

My humble advice would be to don't make a too shopisticated border in order that ornaments keep this kind of ancient/primary feel the map gives ( hmm sorry sometimes hard to explain things in english)
    I understand what you mean.

Wip

I added the city icons and a compass. The calligraphy is an old court script, no longer in use for day-to-day writing and hardly understood even by most scholars of this fantasy world.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sinilor1.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	51663  

Wip

Coat of Arms added.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sinilor1.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	3.55 MB 
ID:	51691  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Seems I missed a few updates. Nice job...but when looking at it after a few days, I just come to think that mountains don't really fit the other elements imo (especially those big ones with the withe lines)

Seems I missed a few updates. Nice job...but when looking at it after a few days, I just come to think that mountains don't really fit the other elements imo (especially those big ones with the withe lines)
    Very interesting; the white lines are what I like most at this style due to the strong contrast. Matter of taste, I guess. Nevertheless, I will try other colours for the southern mountain ranges.

Nice design. I love that look.

The cities just fade to the background while these mountains flash forward with the white lines.
    If this map should be all about mountains, it would be a good design approach. But I think that isn't the case.
    I've got the impression this map is more about political interests (heraldry), so the cities colours should be more distinguishable.

And it would be nicer if the lables follow the form of mountains. Straight as they are they look a bit clumsy.
    Yes I know that curved lables are more work.
    Last edited by Freehand 5.5; 01-31-2013 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freehand 5.5 View Post
    Nice design. I love that look.

The cities just fade to the background while these mountains flash forward with the white lines.
    If this map should be all about mountains, it would be a good design approach. But I think that isn't the case.
    I've got the impression this map is more about political interests (heraldry), so the cities colours should be more distinguishable.

And it would be nicer if the lables follow the form of mountains. Straight as they are they look a bit clumsy.
    Yes I know that curved lables are more work.
    Good remark about the cities.

The labels are far from finished at the moment.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast