Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gaudy style - Continent of Sinilor

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Wip

I placed a soft outer glow around the cities and use a different colour scheme for the mountain lines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sinilor2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	3.56 MB 
ID:	51692  

Yeah, that's better.

But still I have to say something about line art.
    The mountain line art might look more elegantly if it doesn't end in full strength but gets a long fine tip at the base of the mountains.
    And at last the style of the mountains do not fit to the hill's style. I would do it in similar style because hills are the little brothers of mountains.
    Same family should have related genes.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I have to agree with Freehand about the hills. Btw the mountains are way better like this imo
    For the cities I'll see when you put labels on it. It's earlier to say if it's ok or not

Quote Originally Posted by Freehand 5.5 View Post
    Yeah, that's better.

But still I have to say something about line art.
    The mountain line art might look more elegantly if it doesn't end in full strength but gets a long fine tip at the base of the mountains.
    And at last the style of the mountains do not fit to the hill's style. I would do it in similar style because hills are the little brothers of mountains.
    Same family should have related genes.
    Yes, the hills gave me some headache already, that's the third style I've put on this mad.
    I used a PS artistic paint brush to draw the mountain lines to give them a more dominant, 'painted' impression. I had never the intention to use a thin hard round brush as I would do with other styles.

Wip

I had finally time to replace the hills.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sinilor1.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	3.62 MB 
ID:	51920  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

They looks good and fit better

Ah, these hills look cute. Way better!

If you have them in a separate layer you could try to give their colour just a bit of a touch of the mountains blue. Don't know. Just an idea to get them even more integrated with the mountains.
    ... or you could try to give the mountains a similar accented highlighting as the hills.
    Last edited by Freehand 5.5; 02-07-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

I like your work here! Its got a very ... Oriental flavour to it! Which is, perhaps, the overall point!

I'm going to be a bit picky and mention two possible typos ... "Gildean Ocan" possibly should read "Gildean Ocean", and perhaps "Seo of Mrol" should be "Sea of Mrol"?

If I may, also ... "The Frozen Sea" appears on this map to be no different than any other of the oceanic water on the map. There could be any number of good reasons for that ... However, if its going to have the globally known (presumably) appellation of 'Frozen Sea' then wouldn't the map-makers show it as such?

I mean no offence in being persnickety - I'm only at the working out how the hell digital map production works - and hope that you take it as constructive comment!

That's a pretty map! I personally thought the white mountain lines were fine, but the darker lines look good too. I agree on either coloring the hills or making the mountains look slightly more raised. Right now I kind of get the impression that the hills are taller than the mountains are.

Also, I love the results you've gotten with your cities, and using a small group of pre-drawn buildings to group into slightly larger pre-drawn cities is a great idea. I'll be following that tutorial to try making some of my own I think, thanks!

Thank you, guys! I'll work on the mountains.

@DEMurray: thank you for hints.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast