Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slighted Castle Site?

Guild Journeyer

Question Slighted Castle Site?

Hi,

I'm looking for a location for a medium slighted (breached) castle hopefully showing sorcerous damage, falling into ruin for the contest this month. Any suggestions? Otherwise I'll think up or work on something else.

I don't really want to take over a named location - is an unplaced area themed ruin acceptable for the contest?

Any sorcerous wars brewing out there?

Thanks,
    -meleeguy

Guild Journeyer

To throw an idea out there -

There is a river valley south of Fort RoundTop, vulnerable to evil Thaneland raiders, perhaps a dark captain enthralled by a terrible sorcerer.

What do you think Redrobes? It would be small scale (detailing ruins and some countryside) but I'd prefer a heightmap from you and some guidance on what that terrain would look like (wiki picture maybe?) and anything you'd recommend. I'm thinking Irish countryside castle which I have some big photos of.

Guild Journeyer

Maybe Fenridge? and forget the slighted stuff?

Area 30 is nothing but ruins, not currently inhabited by the living.

You could go nuts there, anywhere.

Sigurd

Want to build a working Keep\Fortress? I can recommend #5 or 4 in my post:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...2231#post22231

It looks like a choice site for a Keep. Just keep it functional and not too grand. In section 12, Beastlands.
    Last edited by Sigurd; 06-06-2008 at 05:54 PM.

You could probably site a blasted castle somewhere in Tawaren fairly easily. There are ruins aplenty there, but it's not completely depopulated. Magicians are not immune to the sickness, and like any person, they'd likely become desperate as the plague unravelled the society in which they lived. Who knows what havoc they would wreak?

Airith's area could use some love, too:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...?t=1776&page=3

I don't know what stories already exist there; it doesn't even have a name yet.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Journeyer

Oh those are very tempting choices as well.

Blog Entries

Fenridge would be good but I think not so slighted. Round Top has no info at all and that could be partially slighted but still functional - or modified from a ruin. Maybe that the actual tomb bit of Knights Tomb could be a ruin long since inhabited, away from the town / village, which contains lower levels that are more intact with the tomb in it. A bit like Sturm's in Dragon Lance. Maybe it has consecrated ground protecting it from evil like a paladins ability.

If you want a full on ruin then you can add an extra one almost anywhere since the points on the map were more for inhabited areas at distances that allow you to sleep secure and refuel. Anywhere off the beaten track as they say is no mans land. A bit like this 4e points of light thing.

Mere Fort is marked as a ruin from attacks from Lizard Men coming out of Death Chaser Fen. Might want to see Helium tho as he has taken an interest in that too.

My tile was supposed to be a generally dangerous area. The current set of roads represent the present state of it. Who knows how that might have been different in times past. Some castles might be half submerged by now in swamp. Roads might go nowhere or into lakes.

Your last question jumped out at me, so I thought I might as well post it. I chose the names as an allusion, but in my area there is a 'sorcerer war' between the Accursed tower, and the tower of Flies. I haven't come up with too much info on it, but I can if you'd like.

edit: reread the op, I wouldn't call it a castle, but as long as there's a predominant tower, you can go crazy
    edit2: erm, ya I think there is a ridiculous distance between them as well...
    Last edited by Airith; 06-06-2008 at 08:41 PM. Reason: add ...
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Some castles might be half submerged by now in swamp. Roads might go nowhere or into lakes.
    "Listen, lad. I built this kingdom up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was swamp. Other kings said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So, I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp, but the fourth one... stayed up! And that's what you're gonna get, lad: the strongest castle in these islands."

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Comes with Huuuuuge tracks of lands... and some curtains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast