Thread: [Region 1][Map 26] - Grelda

Post [Region 1][Map 26] - Grelda

Ok so I get my territory and see that it's right next to a patch of some of the biggest mountains on the entire planet so of course I immediately think dwarves. I read all of or most of what was up on wiki and I don't think there are any other dwarf societies out there, cept for a minor mention in the Beastlands.

So dwarves it is. I started creating my map and wanted it to be along the same lines as Thrubmorton Fens, but I lack not only the software but the skill; I hate you redrobes, by the way . Anywho I started thinking how a dwarf would make a map and lacking any more imaginative thoughts I decide to try to create a map chisled from rock.

So here it is, I hope it lives up to the standards that have been set down so far. I am creating a history for the website so the map needs some labeling.

Let me know what ya think and/or how I can improve it, or if ya think I should scrap it all together...

There is some overlap, so if my neighbors have and issue let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grelda Lowlands rock.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	4179  

Blog Entries

Great stuff. Like the way the text looks raised on the land. I have added this into the overall map pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohunk View Post
    Ok so I get my territory and see that it's right next to a patch of some of the biggest mountains on the entire planet so of course I immediately think dwarves. I read all of or most of what was up on wiki and I don't think there are any other dwarf societies out there, cept for a minor mention in the Beastlands.

So dwarves it is. I started creating my map and wanted it to be along the same lines as Thrubmorton Fens, but I lack not only the software but the skill; I hate you redrobes, by the way . Anywho I started thinking how a dwarf would make a map and lacking any more imaginative thoughts I decide to try to create a map chisled from rock.

So here it is, I hope it lives up to the standards that have been set down so far. I am creating a history for the website so the map needs some labeling.

Let me know what ya think and/or how I can improve it, or if ya think I should scrap it all together...

There is some overlap, so if my neighbors have and issue let me know.
    Nice thought process on the map made by dwarves. I was thinking very much the same thing in terms of WHO(Dwarves, along with nomadic barbarian tribes and perhaps something special....) would live in my area (5), which is directly to the left of yours.

Oh, and THANK you for making a nice high res map. This will make my start that much easier.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Very cool idea, showing once again imagination IS a goodly part of skill.
    SeerBlue

Thanks for the comments guys.

I uploaded some history to the wiki, plz let me know if it steps on any toes. I am not very good at wiki so I don't know if I did it right.

Let me know.

Looks great Bohunk. Completely cool and different style which just hints at isometric but isn't if you know what I mean. I'll have a look at the stuff on the wiki but I'm sure the editing types will get there before me.

Thanks for great work.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Updated map. I think its done unless I think of something else in the history I am currently working on.

Name:	Grelda Lowlands rock.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	4270  

So I was making a detail B&W of this area when it struck me that Thaydor is sitting on the artic circle, (at least close to what would be the artic circle if this was earth). So I was wondering about a couple of things:

1. The river that flows north out of the map was FT generated, would that freeze and if it would, for how long?

2. How populated would the valley above the mountains be, and judging by how many small kingdoms or clan areas I currently have, and more to come in the west, would or could the area just south of the artic sustain that many people, I am guessing close to one million? Not really worried about the dwarves who I guess would be use to cold living in or under the mountains.

3. Although this is the valley between both sets of mountains, I imagine that its altitude is still high, would that be correct or can we believe that it is close to sea level?

Although it is a fantasy world, I would like this to be as realistic as possible, and if the area is too bleak to carry at least one million humans maybe an alturnative can be found that would give this area some population besides the claw-people(monsters) I have in the extreme north. i know, I know, realistic and claw-people dont go hand in hand but....

Name:	Grelda Lowlands B&W copy.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	385.7 KB 
ID:	4343