Thread: January 2013 Challenge: Sunken Spar

Guild Artisan

Default January 2013 Challenge: Sunken Spar

Alright going to have a go at this. All though not off to a good start, just lost my entire map in layers, so not too many corrections I can make to this tower which is the main focal point of the map. Crap, and I still have to put a trap door in there, lol. Oh well I will figure it out.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sunken Spar.jpg 
Views:	728 
Size:	538.9 KB 
ID:	51614
    Last edited by Kier; 01-29-2013 at 11:29 AM.

Looks pretty cool. What's it all about? I'm guessing this is the top of a sunken tower? What will the rest of the map show?

Might be difficult to get your door in there if your map is flattened. Good luck with it!
    M

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Looks pretty cool. What's it all about? I'm guessing this is the top of a sunken tower? What will the rest of the map show?

Might be difficult to get your door in there if your map is flattened. Good luck with it!
    M
    Thanks. Its a sunken tower so far, the rest of the city is somewhere beneath it, lol. Its a city sieged centuries ago, preserving itself beneath the charmed seas until the curse can be broken. Been stalled trying to figure this all out, how to map a city (or part of it) under the sea. I think I will have to cheat a little, and outline it in black lines or heavy shadows or it will just get too lost beneath the waves. Maybe drop the opacity slightly on the water to highlight and draw the walls from the depths. Beginning to think the easiest part will be to put the trap door in, lol. Damn computer, I guess thats what I get for using a 290Meg File.

Guild Artisan

Updated version as of this morning. Getting there. Still have the trap door to put in on Main tower, and entire city below but walls are taking form. And still have border etc. My main problem is I don't like it zoomed out, lol. I love the main tower, the details of the debris, coral, and seaweed, water coming in the gaps, but details get lost when zooming out for the whole picture.

Onward we go.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Sunken Spar_updated.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	3.37 MB 
ID:	51629
    Last edited by Kier; 01-29-2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Edited for the ### LATEST WIP ###

Excellent work! The water effect is perfect, and that is very hard to do.

Best way I can think of to add the trapdoor is to just barely show it. Use a trapdoor that is mostly covered by the same plant/algae cover you are using and drop that on to the tower.

Example:

Name:	Trapdoor_Idea_bg.png 
Views:	515 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	51630Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trapdoor-idea1.png 
Views:	435 
Size:	292.7 KB 
ID:	51631

Guild Artisan

ME PRETTIES! ME PRETTIES! I HAVE ADDED ME PRETTIES! MUUUAAAAHHHH!
    Sorry about that, a little excited about them.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Sunken Spar_v3.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	3.59 MB 
ID:	51635

City below has been added, and of course my pretties, my little pets if you will, took forever they did. But if you blow the map up and look close you will find. Find them you will.

Trap door, border, title, and story to go!

Edited: Thanks for the encouragement Bogie. Great minds think alike on the trap door I figure I can slide it in some seaweed and water there with a little work.
    Last edited by Kier; 01-29-2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: edited for the ### LATEST WIP ###

That certainly is lovely water. How did you accomplish it?
    M

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    That certainly is lovely water. How did you accomplish it?
    M
    Hi Mearrin69,

Thanks, I wish I could take credit for the water. Found it on Morguefile(also snagged some seaweed from there, and bits of coral). They had a small photo which I then copied, flipped, pasted, repeated, then cloned out all the seams. Took forever to figure out from there, everytime I changed the opacity so I could see the town below, I lost all color and pattern of the sea. I ended up using 3 layers of the same sea mixed throughout the layer stack, and even then had to change opacity of the other layers like the city and walls. But overall I fell in love with the map, more so the city below, then the original tower now, lol (Quite the change from the beginning). I love zooming in and scanning through the city(I may venture into it in more detail later on, build the entire city map as a whole versus an afterthought, then sink it)

All other textures came from CGtextures.

The small buildings in the city below are from Vintyri Project, the larger one is from is from our very own Bogie here.

EDITED: There is a tutorial for GIMP on how to make water using the filters with cloud settings, looked interesting, but just never got around to it yet.

-Kier

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

wow - i love this.

Guild Artisan

This is for a story I am working on for my daughters who always ask "why girls always have to be the one being saved?" Well they don't and sometimes they are the one doing the rescuing.

Tower of Tears

When Kaia finds an ancient bracelet beneath the oldest part of the keep, she ends up summoning an old boat to the shore. Knowing that at thirteen she only has a few years left before her father will make her behave like the adopted princess she is suppose to be, she takes adventure wherever she can find it. She boards the boat, with rotting sides, and ragtag sails, becoming an unwilling rider on the deep seas to the sunken city of Tair, with a spectral girl as her only comrade in arms.

Legend has it that the Seakren, took the island of Tair, burning their docks, breaching their walls, and setting the city ablaze.

In desperation the Queen cast a spell, dropping all within the walls in a deep enchanted slumber to stop the invasion, and sink the city beneath the waves to extinguish the fires. There the city lays, preserved on the edge of death, until the fateful day that the one bearing the bracelet will return.

One step at a time, Kaia descends the Tower of Tears, and into the city below, as the water withdraws bringing her closer to fulfilling her Destiny.

But Destiny waits for no one

Below the surface slide the Guardians, the skeletal sharks, waiting to feed on the living, to restore the flesh and life to their bleached bones. And the halls are haunted by an ancient evil, which eluded the Queen’s enchantment, waiting for the bracelets return so it can finish the destruction it started centuries ago.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Tower Of Tears .jpg 
Views:	931 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	51670

I hope I did this right, being my first challenge and all, I dont know how to change the title though, now changed to Tower of Tears
    Last edited by Kier; 01-29-2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: for numerous reasons, I can't write today for one.